Pillar Grab Handles

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was afraid this would take a direction that included leave her behind..
I really can't replace her, we have 4 kids and no one else would take us! I'm considering a step too.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really can't replace her, we have 4 kids and no one else would take us! I'm considering a step too.

Sounds like a perfect match then...

Best get happening with steps n fast....a d grab handle....or skip hqndle n grab ass when ass isting her into to truck on new step....just saying...either smack it or....gently cup it n help her up real gentlemanly like....

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with attaching a handle to the pillar is that the pillar is a totally different angle than the plastic trim that covers it. Here's how I did it...
You must be registered for see images attach

Bent some 1/8" plate up, used riv-nuts to attach it to the pillar, then cut the plastic around it. Not necessarily simple, but turned out pretty clean and study as hell.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with attaching a handle to the pillar is that the pillar is a totally different angle than the plastic trim that covers it. Here's how I did it...

Bent some 1/8" plate up, used riv-nuts to attach it to the pillar, then cut the plastic around it. Not necessarily simple, but turned out pretty clean and study as hell.
Your dash isn't exactly stock is it? Lol

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a pick of the Explorer grab handle above the passenger door in my truck. Super easy to install with two screws and is very sturdy - almost looks factory. It is not as handy as on the A-Pillar but does work. You also have to tell people it is there if they have not ridden in the truck before when they give you that look like "how am I supposed to get into this thing". Also attached a pic of my step.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I once told the Priest that we wanted to get a Divorce (He fainted), then I said, but neither of us wanted all Five of the Kids.
Then I put a Bully Dog step on each side of the truck.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, on the explorer grab handle, is that where it's mounted on an explorer? Did you use nut- serts or riv nuts to bolt it on?

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
m67tang, that is the approximate location where the handles are mounted in the explorer too. I used big self tapping screws, which is also how the handles are mounted in the explorers. The step is a section I cut out of a free DEEZEE aluminum running board somebody threw out. The board was in bad shape so I cut out a good section of it and added a 6" high section of diamond plate aluminum so I could mount the step lower. The framework is 1" angle iron mounted to the frame with rubber shock bushings and also mounted under the cab.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@tbrumm get a winch in that avatar Man:D

I read about the Explorer grab handle upgrade - that is probably the best option. Been meaning to to that... Got a long legged wife so I am good but fishing buddy has a little trouble :dunno

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
If it we're my wife I would buy her a gym membership. That would quite her down for a while. Of course I would be cooking for myself too. And since I have had two I'm not the expert on this.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually just got the wife a home gym! Funny you'd mention it...hehe.
Truth is kids and me would benefit too, if it had easier access. I wonder if flea bay is a good place to find those handles?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Give it a shot. If you don't find any there, run a google search. Someone is bound to have them if you can't get to a junkyard to search for some.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use nutserts...much stronger and safer...then JIC it is a Holee f#£@ handle it wont come off.

Sheet metal tends weaken fast wi5h screws passed through them in my experience...its why visors over the windshields never are leak free...damn lag tupe scres vs nut serts and sealant.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online