Pictures of some of the stuff I did to my truck (dialup beware)

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Turbo pickup:
You must be registered for see images attach

Return line from rear tank heat exchanger:

Vegtherm Mega:

Replaced hardline from fuel pump to fuel filter, added a pickup for a fuel temp gauge:

Replaced heater core hoses and added a ball valve to turn the core off when not needed:

Added gauges and gauge pod - third slot waiting for egt arrival:

Extra heat exchanger and fuel hose hose curled up behind rear diff to facilitate dropping rear tank in the future:

Coolant lines for rear tank heat exchanger zip tied along the frame:

Heat exchanger hose coming out of driver's side head with temp pickup relocated and ball valve:

Bosch relay for Vegtherm Mega and a 30a circuit breaker beside it (red thing on the far right):

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
everything looks great but if i could make a suggestion to you
id watch that coolant hose so close to the exhaust maifold
maybe make a heat sheild of some sort

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Yeah I thought about that. The hose is rated really high, like the highest spec stuff I could find. I was thinking of wrapping those 2ft with some reflective aluminized tape or something like that.

The picture shows it close, but it's a good 5"-6" away...

everything looks great but if i could make a suggestion to you
id watch that coolant hose so close to the exhaust maifold
maybe make a heat sheild of some sort

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I thought about that. The hose is rated really high, like the highest spec stuff I could find. I was thinking of wrapping those 2ft with some reflective aluminized tape or something like that.

The picture shows it close, but it's a good 5"-6" away...

Any rubber hose won't last that close to exhaust. Temperature ratings for hoses are based on media, which is usually petroleum based. Air at elevated temperature will continue the vulcanization process, resulting in a cooked or cracked hose. Hydraulic and power steering applications run into this type of stuff all the time, hence the hose-tubing combinations that are so popular in automotive steering and transmission applications. The only hose that will really last long term in this application is stainless covered teflon, which will drain your wallet faster than a high maintenance woman on Rodeo Drive.

The one thing that may work in your favor is that it might not get all that hot going down the road. Get yourself a infrared thermometer and see how hot it's really getting down there. They are about $40 at Harbor Freight, they are great to have for all kinds of stuff. For instance I no longer burn my fingers on the headers of my race car when I am trying to figure out if I am fouling a spark plug.

If it's really hot on the outside of those hoses, you could use some fire sleeving, which is a product that's silicon on the outside and fiberglass on the inside. It's used for hydraulic applications where the hoses are around welding or even molten metal. It is kind of pricey, but should do the trick.

The last and least expensive option would be to run some hard tubing, which won't care how hot it gets around it.

Good luck and nice job on all the mods ;Sweet

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Would the fact that the hose is carrying coolant not give it some additional protection?

I could just re-route the hose I have a spare 3-4' coiled at the rear tank anyway. Might be the best thing to do...

Or just put in a brass run of 5/8" pipe up until it clears the heads... :)

p.s. just realized that while I was under the truck today I forgot to look for a egt port in my downpipe....

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
Would the fact that the hose is carrying coolant not give it some additional protection?

I could just re-route the hose I have a spare 3-4' coiled at the rear tank anyway. Might be the best thing to do...

Or just put in a brass run of 5/8" pipe up until it clears the heads... :)

p.s. just realized that while I was under the truck today I forgot to look for a egt port in my downpipe....

if you use a brass pipe the vibrations from the engine will bust it at the treads thats not good i wouldnt re route it because that space is limited and it looks cool
just build your self a heat sheild and wrap it in that tape you were talking about and call it good;Sweet

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
mankypro,
i used 1''pipe insulation on my tubing like that, than taped it really tight with hvac tape (high temp foil type).
never a problem.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
nice, so what temps are you getting now for your fuel whatever it may be.:D