Picture request...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
seems like it would make for a really stiff throttle pedal
Our trucks do have a stiff throttle pedal compared to almost everything else I've ever driven. The upper spring is only used on the kickdown linkage with a C6. It's not really all that stiff of a spring. I'm not sure why they used so many return springs, not even a guess. I have seen a few trucks that had one of the lower springs broken.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our trucks do have a stiff throttle pedal compared to almost everything else I've ever driven. The upper spring is only used on the kickdown linkage with a C6. It's not really all that stiff of a spring. I'm not sure why they used so many return springs, not even a guess. I have seen a few trucks that had one of the lower springs broken.
Our 90 only has the spring in the cable and has a great pedal feel. Has no issues sticking

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Maybe that's the way to go? I haven't personally seen one without the lower springs, but it's good to know that it can be done with no problems. I got so used to the stiffer feel when I used to work on these trucks that I usually make the throttle on my gassers stiffer, more like my diesel. Maybe I'm just a little bit strange?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, here is what we have...... fresh off the iPhone....

You must be registered for see images attach

I think it's just a worn out cable. Everything appears to be there, and where it should be. So, looks like we will be replacing the throttle cable while we are at it. I have electrical to work on under the hood, and replace the pot metal POS in the column. Fortunately, the oldest son, who daily drives this truck, is getting ready to pick up another vehicle, so we can have this one down for more than a day.

I need to make a glow plug harness, replace all the glow plugs, (they don't work and were an a questionable push button "system", and I think the original controller is MIA, since it was running off a starter relay on the relocation bracket from the Hypermax kit). and do a better hook-up for the pump. Currently there is a chunk of orange drop cord wired into a toggle switch and connected to the battery and IP. However, with the broken pot metal POS, being able to control the pump without the key has been a good thing. I don't think this truck will end up working 100% stock on the wiring again, but looking at some of the wiring that is there, that's not a bad thing. I actually glad at this point, the most of the engine electrical is unhooked......

Thinking, fresh glow plug harness, with a push-button, a push-button for start (to help the pot metal POS live longer), and a switch to the IP, and maybe even wire up the cold advance and high idle to switches...... The body side electrical still seems to be in decent shape.... so get all the essentials for the engine working, and get the instrument cluster lights working (hopefully just burned out) and we will be well on our way to getting this truck in decent shape again. The last one had better electrical, but had way more miles, and a lot of "weight reduction".......

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI the parts store cables come with little to no lube so I’d recommend pulling them apart and lubing it up good so it lasts

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Snicklas, I see what you have for a set up now. The double spring that's hooked to your kickdown linkage is the one that normally goes to the bottom of the fast idle solenoid bracket instead of the top where it is now. It normally hooks to the same spot that the throttle and cruise control cables hook to the injector pump. The correct kickdown return spring is MUCH lighter duty than these. For a good picture, see the one that Thewespaul put in post #2.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking, fresh glow plug harness, with a push-button, a push-button for start (to help the pot metal POS live longer), and a switch to the IP, and maybe even wire up the cold advance and high idle to switches...... The body side electrical still seems to be in decent shape.... so get all the essentials for the engine working, and get the instrument cluster lights working (hopefully just burned out) and we will be well on our way to getting this truck in decent shape again. The last one had better electrical, but had way more miles, and a lot of "weight reduction".......

Sounds like a good set up, might I ask how to set up a push button gp to heat up the gp n negate the old school go controller, I assume a new go harness would include the wire to the passenger side fender

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't that double-coil one be angled downward as it goes forward, going down from the cable to the bottom of the IP somewhere? (See pics 2 and 3 of post 2; for some reason it's not there in pic 1) And shouldn there instead be a lighter spring going fore-aft across the top?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good set up, might I ask how to set up a push button gp to heat up the gp n negate the old school go controller, I assume a new go harness would include the wire to the passenger side fender

What I am thinking is a heavy duty relay on the relocation bracket, a heavier gauge lead to the starter solenoid with a big fuse, then leads branching out to each plug. I'll post my setup when it gets built.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I am thinking is a heavy duty relay on the relocation bracket, a heavier gauge lead to the starter solenoid with a big fuse, then leads branching out to each plug. I'll post my setup when it gets built.

May I ask what gauge the wire should be for making a push button for the gp from the fender to where the controller/relay is an do you remove the whole og go set up after you make the new push button set up

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
May I ask what gauge the wire should be for making a push button for the gp from the fender to where the controller/relay is an do you remove the whole og go set up after you make the new push button set up

I have done 2 different setups with a push button.

The first one, was actually pretty simple. It was on my previous truck, and the factory system was still 100% intact, but occasionally the controller wouldn't run the plugs. On that one, I ran a 12 gauge wire from the factory controller relay, on the small post where the white wire goes, through a push button in the dash, and to ground. I left the factory white wire from the controller in place, so the controller could still run the plugs, but I could also manually override the controller with the push button. So this truck could run 100% factory with the controller running the plugs, or manual with the button. Most of the time, I just let the controller do it's job, but if it didn't, I would push the button, run the plugs manually and the truck would start like normal.

On this truck, the engine harness is a nightmare. I've not looked under the turbo, but I do not see a factory controller anywhere in the engine compartment. On the drivers side valve cover, there is a relocate bracket for the glow plug controller (this truck has an early Hypermax turbo, the one that has a cast extension and uses the factory air cleaner, moved forward of it's normal location), and on this bracket is a "round metal can" style relay.

This is connected to what is left of the factory harness, and a wire was run into the cab to a push button to trigger the relay. The plugs haven't worked since we got the truck in early November, however, the engine is healthy enough it will fire with just the block heater and 6 or 7 seconds of cranking, or a whiff of ether.

So my plans are, use a heavy duty relay, like the White Rogers 586 602 200 Amp, 12 volt relay:

You must be registered for see images

mounted on the relocation bracket. More than likely I will use one of the pre-made 4 gauge starter solenoid to starter lead (I've had good luck with these in other uses). This lead will run from the starter solenoid on the passenger fender, to the high current side of the relay.

You must be registered for see images

Then from the other high current lug of the relay, I will more than likely use 8 or 10 gauge wire to each plug with a new bullet connector at the plug end. I haven't decided how I'm going to gather the relay end together to connect to the relay. I have a couple ideas, but still not 100 set on a method yet. I will run a trigger wire to a momentary push button in the cab. I will unhook the original two yellow supply wires from the starter solenoid, and depending on what I find, will either abandon in place, or remove all the factory glow plug wiring. The wiring for the gauge senders seem to work, so I don't want to damage that wiring.

The IP is already on it's own dedicated switch from a previous owner. Not sure if the factory control wiring for the IP works, but the wire to the fuel heater has been "repaired". I haven't checked to see if the fuse is blown, but I'm not going to replace the fuse until i have a chance to do a through check of the wiring. The pot metal actuator broke during the cold snap we had at the first of the year, fortunately it broke in the "run" position. So we can still run the truck, and I have a push button for the starter. So even after I replace the pot metal piece, I will continue to use the push button for the starter, to help keep the stress off the actuator. The current setup for the IP is not the best (it's a chunk of orange drop cord the PO used), so I am going to replace the wires to the IP and toggle switch, and run new control wires for the starter and glow plug relay. The rest of the wiring will remain factory. If I find the wiring for the IP is not damaged, and it is just a blown fuse, I will inspect all the wiring, and if it is just from the heater, I will cut out and clean up wiring to the heater, and put the IP control back on the key/factory wiring. If it is in as bad of shape as I think it might be, the current bypass will stay, just be re-run with a better setup. I am also going to address the throttle cable at the same time. My son is picking up another vehicle tomorrow, so I can work in the truck and keep it out of service for longer than a day...........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge140

Members online