pickup tube strainer required?

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So im putting a 38 gallon tank in my truck and im wondering do i really need a strainer in there. I got a filter before the fuel pump so thats not really a problem. It seems they either clog up or break apart and then you run out of fuel at a 1/4 tank.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what ever it is worth, I installed a new Shower Head when I did my 38 gal tank.
Both were broken off and in the bottom of the tank, but the truck was 32 yrs old at the time. It does suck they eventually break off, but how many years does it take before they do?

I feel you should have some type of strainer just in case something gets into the tanks, and it catches it before going into the FSOV and causing a problem there.

I will say, both tanks were clean as a whistle on the bottom, except for the broken SH.

Your truck, your call.

Goat

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on swapping tanks this summer. I plan on going with a polyethylene pickup tube for a diesel boat, and no screen. Here’s what I plan to buy, they sell them both with and without screens but I think a screen inside the tube might be too restrictive.

DEF 7-0948 Fuel Withdrawal 12 inch Depth Standard Universal Boat Gas Tank Tube,Adjustable Length Rigid Polyethylene Fuel Tube With Strainer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091DK5G99/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_DYH1457JNWFTXRW2WVYC

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This is how mine has been for some 4ish years. I just made some "V" cuts on the bottom and it's been good. Make sure to use submersion/biodiesel rated hose. Otherwise your hose will fall apart after a while.

So it's not necessary. I've seen guys put a brass Tee on the end and that's a great idea too.

Last edited:

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to run a stretch of hardline, no chance of it curling like the soft line can and you can easily taper the end or V cut or whatever you like. That's how I handle carb swap on factory fuel injected gassers too

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad hand screens, squeeze top around tube, clamp or wire to it, I run a wire up to the bracket or tube to hold it up .

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 6

swald

Reaction score
I plan on swapping tanks this summer. I plan on going with a polyethylene pickup tube for a diesel boat, and no screen. Here’s what I plan to buy, they sell them both with and without screens but I think a screen inside the tube might be too restrictive.

DEF 7-0948 Fuel Withdrawal 12 inch Depth Standard Universal Boat Gas Tank Tube,Adjustable Length Rigid Polyethylene Fuel Tube With Strainer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091DK5G99/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_DYH1457JNWFTXRW2WVYC
Did this work for you?

swald

Reaction score
So the screen isn't restringing flow then?
And how did you attach it?

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t have a strainer in the tank, instead I have one of these on the fuel line:

K&N 81-0300 Replacement Fuel Filter https://a.co/d/g4RI26J

The pex tube was a super snug fit over the pickup tube in the tank, so I jammed it on as far as I could get it and felt confident it would stay there. I thought I still had pictures of the setup, but I can’t seem to find them.

swald

Reaction score
... I run a wire up to the bracket or tube to hold it up .
Like baling wire?
And I think I still have some leftover return line I bought from you a while back. Or is that not big enough for supply side?

swald

Reaction score
...pex tube was a super snug fit over the pickup tube in the tank, so I jammed it on as far as I could get it and felt confident it would stay there. I thought I still had pictures of the setup, but I can’t seem to find them.
I assumed you attached the threaded female end to a compression fitting on the pickup tune or some such.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Know the return hose will not work. You need to use truck air brake tubing and as said push it on there as far as possible and even put a worm type clamp on it will hold it on there but I like the crimp type. And then keep trimming it until it's just a little bit off the bottom sliced at an angle

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7