pic of a super charged 7.3 idi that's pulling

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yes stiffer springs will be mandatory to go that high im sure, if not due to just boost alone. Not to mention i want to use a exhaust brake. Was going to use the same springs NMB2 anr Racin are using, they have good numbers installed, even have room to shim, or go with a 1.7 rocker before bind. As far as boring goes, it would be only to clean up the block and get everything aligned so .030 or .040 at most. Im going to run a pre-charged coolant filter so even if i did bore it out to a 7.3 or higher cavitation wont be an issue.

Wouldn't using an exhaust brake blow out the seals on like the exhaust gaskets and other things? What all would need to be done for our engines to handle an exhaust brake?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive got a line on a 7.3 factory block and heads. plan: bore 7.3 to accommodate sleeves, actually reducin the bore from 4.11 to 4.10. get a fully balanced 4.36 inch stroker rotatin assy. with ceramic coated, low-topped pistons, with DEEP valve reliefs, makin it a non-interference motor, even with with a big, 460-torque-monster inspired hydro-roller cam, gettin .550"/.500" intake/exhaust lift, respectively. this would make it a spot-on-the-nose 460ci motor, with a compression goal of 18:1. '94 moose pump with torque screw, 4400rpm spring, and moose misters, extensive head work with studs, custom intake with water/**** injection, to perch a 6 or 8-71 (or maybe an 8-92??) blower on top of, pushin 9 psi at idle, and a set of stans headers with true dual exhaust. goal: i only want to push a measly 350 hp and 550 lb-ft. if i can hit that, ill be happy. but im sure youve noticed, the cam is the weak link im aimin to solve, and if a gm lsx 454 gasser with an 8-71 at 9 psi can push 850 lb-ft at idle, so can my motha-f***in IDI!!

I think one of the things holding our engines back is the air going in to it also! If you could figure out an easy way to fix that it would be awesome. I think if you did fix that and was pushin like 25-30 psi into it you would be well over 400 hp. It shouldn't be to hard to hit your goal if thats the case. Just let us know and keep us updated on your progress when you get started. Also a huge blower pushing in a lot of air would be BAD AS HELL!!!!

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and i said my goal is 350hp. yes thats at the rear wheels. and yes, its a lot of work for a tiny goal, but even at 350 rwhp, id be a pioneer. hell, mel only makes ~290-295 rwhp. after him its ~285-290. if anyone here is makin more, id LOVE to see dyno graphs and know how they did it. also, im not just goin for deep valve reliefs on the pistons, im wantin shorter rods, and an overall shorter piston. i want it to stay down in the hole a little bit, just to get it out of the path of the valves. granted, its NOT a high rpm motor, even after a lot of work. the heads flow plenty for the rev range, the capability for the fuel is there, but the weak link: the cam. why? because its an interference motor. the piston can hit the valves, even at stock lift. this means theres no opportunity for good duration, or overlap for scavengin. my goal is to overcome all of that. also, in readin, the cherry bomb camero isnt even a 454, its a 427. and i was wrong, its 800 lb-ft just off of idle, not 850 at idle. but still, if a gasser, with less displacement than my build can make that much torque, that low, so can my idi.

Hey I have been looking around and I haven't seen anywhere what Mel's truck has made on a dyno? Where did you see that at?

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me and my brother had this idea, but we thought about running two m90's from supercoupes mounted on top.. If i'd do it thou, i'd find a shop to make me a cusom intake to replace the factory one, that way you dont have to push to m90's thru one 4" or so hole. also it would make it easier to mountthem..

Anyone have any idea what kinda boost two would put out. we figured on a 7.3 with two we would see 10psi or so... Mite be a cool build, it would probly run like a ***** but i think the egt's mite be crazy high plus i dont know if you could suplie enough fuel with a stock pump..

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me and my brother had this idea, but we thought about running two m90's from supercoupes mounted on top.. If i'd do it thou, i'd find a shop to make me a cusom intake to replace the factory one, that way you dont have to push to m90's thru one 4" or so hole. also it would make it easier to mountthem..

Anyone have any idea what kinda boost two would put out. we figured on a 7.3 with two we would see 10psi or so... Mite be a cool build, it would probly run like a ***** but i think the egt's mite be crazy high plus i dont know if you could suplie enough fuel with a stock pump..

You could easily get those two superchargers to put out close to 20 psi. And as far as an intake goes I would just make an intake hat that has two spots that you could hook the chargers to. Look on google and you can see some duel charger setups and get some ideas.

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The fifth generation m90's will flow 520cfm at 12000rpm. One will make around 8psi of boost, which is 22.7psia. So 2 would give you 8psi plus 22psi. The problem with superchargers is the power drag goes up dramatically with the pressure they output. At 10psi@12000 rpm an m90 takes 40hp to drive, get two of them and that's 80hp. And if you are running more boost it can only get higher.

The best thing in my opinion to run 20 psi and have instant boost, would be an m112 pushing into an 088 or 093 turbo. That way, when the turbo spools it will unload the s/c, reducing parasitic losses.

linkfarms

IDI Addiction
Reaction score
glad to see this has got everyone thinking

mabe we will see another super charged idi here soon

was on powerstroke nation and someone posted a link here to this thread they were talking about it also

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fifth generation m90's will flow 520cfm at 12000rpm. One will make around 8psi of boost, which is 22.7psia. So 2 would give you 8psi plus 22psi. The problem with superchargers is the power drag goes up dramatically with the pressure they output. At 10psi@12000 rpm an m90 takes 40hp to drive, get two of them and that's 80hp. And if you are running more boost it can only get higher.

The best thing in my opinion to run 20 psi and have instant boost, would be an m112 pushing into an 088 or 093 turbo. That way, when the turbo spools it will unload the s/c, reducing parasitic losses.

For the most part thats what I am gonna do but I plan on letting it blow through the SC through the whole powerband. If it doesn't work I can always try using the pressure relief valve on the SC and just use the turbo up top. :dunno

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run into two problems on our engines when it comes to running an exhaust brake. First, the exhaust valves have so little seat pressure, a decent brake could potentially keep them open, or open them. Second, yes the exaust manifold gaskets. As mentioned, i will already be running stiffer springs, maybe even go stiffer on the exhaust side. Next i will be running custom "headers" that ill in essence replace the manifold and up pipe(s). For this im considering using 7/16" or even a 1/2" flange w/ studs and plated gaskets. Theoretically to mine eyes this should keep the hot gases in where they belong, but i guess ill have to wait and see.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I just saw this and do not have time to go through all 8 pages of it so I will post this to help. The M90 blower is used on the 3.8 GM and 3.8 SC ford (T-bird SC). I checked the charts for both of them and the CFM difference is only 20cfms higher for the 6.9 than for the 3.8, which is easilly made up by a smaller pulley, or even possibly by the larger crank than the one off of the t-bird, but since it uses a jack shaft, I do not know yet.

If you have spent any time around people who have one, they are commonly called "Heatons" the reason is becasue of the way they pump air. Up to about 8psi, they are supposedly one of the most efficient blowers because of the way they paddle the air instead of compressing it between the rotors. After about 8 psi, they start to build heat because of the pressure in the hat or outlet (depending on what style you have. I am in the process of mounting mine over the pass side valve cover now, and HOPE this guy is saying he sees about 2psi at idle. I am looking for between 7 and 10 psi as I am not trying to set some sort of land speed record.

I would like to know where he got his pulley and see some vids of it running/pulling if that can be possible. Also, what psi does he have at cruise? It is hard to tell on this small screen if he has a bypass from all of the hoses on it. I was thinking I was not going to run one since there is not throttle plate on these.

I will post some pix of mine later, when it is closer to being done.

SWS

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I was thinking of running one at say 10k at max engine rpm, but im not mathmatically inclined enough to know if that will be enough air or not. keep in mind this would be for a SC / turbo app, not just a straight SC, so the blower would only need to supply air from idle to 2k or so

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online