pic of a super charged 7.3 idi that's pulling

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Glad I could poke in. This guy has a few advantages over me. First, he is running a different case (the GM) which allowes him to directly mount it to a plate. I COULD do that with mine, but sometimes I cannot see the forrest for the trees so I already started the mount. If it fails, I will get some more metal and mimic what he has done.

Also, for whomever asked about the power level at 30psi, there is a guy here who has a remote mount powerstroke turbo who is pushing that level. He has not yet (to my understanding) had it on a dyno, and is running out of fuel at that level. His EGTs stay under 1000 and he has all of the spool at that level. Do a search. There are even vids for it.

SWS

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run into two problems on our engines when it comes to running an exhaust brake. First, the exhaust valves have so little seat pressure, a decent brake could potentially keep them open, or open them. Second, yes the exaust manifold gaskets. As mentioned, i will already be running stiffer springs, maybe even go stiffer on the exhaust side. Next i will be running custom "headers" that ill in essence replace the manifold and up pipe(s). For this im considering using 7/16" or even a 1/2" flange w/ studs and plated gaskets. Theoretically to mine eyes this should keep the hot gases in where they belong, but i guess ill have to wait and see.

So if I studded my exhaust manifold and upgraded my valves springs I would probably be good to run one the huh?

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just saw this and do not have time to go through all 8 pages of it so I will post this to help. The M90 blower is used on the 3.8 GM and 3.8 SC ford (T-bird SC). I checked the charts for both of them and the CFM difference is only 20cfms higher for the 6.9 than for the 3.8, which is easilly made up by a smaller pulley, or even possibly by the larger crank than the one off of the t-bird, but since it uses a jack shaft, I do not know yet.

If you have spent any time around people who have one, they are commonly called "Heatons" the reason is becasue of the way they pump air. Up to about 8psi, they are supposedly one of the most efficient blowers because of the way they paddle the air instead of compressing it between the rotors. After about 8 psi, they start to build heat because of the pressure in the hat or outlet (depending on what style you have. I am in the process of mounting mine over the pass side valve cover now, and HOPE this guy is saying he sees about 2psi at idle. I am looking for between 7 and 10 psi as I am not trying to set some sort of land speed record.

I would like to know where he got his pulley and see some vids of it running/pulling if that can be possible. Also, what psi does he have at cruise? It is hard to tell on this small screen if he has a bypass from all of the hoses on it. I was thinking I was not going to run one since there is not throttle plate on these.

I will post some pix of mine later, when it is closer to being done.

SWS
I've been waiting for you to finish it man! Hurry up already! I'm excited to see it. Lol

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I spend much time working and doing family stuff. All of mine are under 6, and I can not get away a lot of the time. Now...I am eating lunch. After this, back to welding and grinding.

Honestly, if I had the metal, and 2 days of work, this would be done.

SWS

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad I could poke in. This guy has a few advantages over me. First, he is running a different case (the GM) which allowes him to directly mount it to a plate. I COULD do that with mine, but sometimes I cannot see the forrest for the trees so I already started the mount. If it fails, I will get some more metal and mimic what he has done.

Also, for whomever asked about the power level at 30psi, there is a guy here who has a remote mount powerstroke turbo who is pushing that level. He has not yet (to my understanding) had it on a dyno, and is running out of fuel at that level. His EGTs stay under 1000 and he has all of the spool at that level. Do a search. There are even vids for it.

SWS

I knew that guy could get his turbo to boost that high but I thought it was just cause he didn't have a way to regulate the boost? But anyway his setup was pretty good and spooled fast! Everyone has always said that remote mount setups spool slowly but it shows the exact opposite.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spend much time working and doing family stuff. All of mine are under 6, and I can not get away a lot of the time. Now...I am eating lunch. After this, back to welding and grinding.

Honestly, if I had the metal, and 2 days of work, this would be done.

SWS

You'll get it done soon enough man and that SC will build boost really fast and give you a lot of good low end power for sure.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Yeah, I am only looking for low end power. I just want it to have enough power to get out of its own way going up a hill. Its like I tell the guys at work about it, "It will pull anything...just not very fast...".

SWS

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I am only looking for low end power. I just want it to have enough power to get out of its own way going up a hill. Its like I tell the guys at work about it, "It will pull anything...just not very fast...".

SWS

Well I think you will pull those hills reall well with a SC. Imho it really has the potential to keep egts down when towing but like you said it probably won't be very fast. Haha. Also when you are done post some pics and video. ;Sweet

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seawalker.... that is awesome about the cfm info... im not too bad at math, i just have no idea how you would calculate that. So what kinda boost do the blowers make on the t-bird / GM cars? Im guessin 6-8lbs. But im sure that was max cfm, and the gasser is turnin twice the rpms, so in essence we would need to drive the SC twice as fast. im really thinkin of throwin one on my 7.3 right now and just callin it good, instead of the HX35g... potentially alot less work. Build a plate, bolt it to the intake, bolt the blower on and done.

Would really look for a 93/94 pump to play with fuel curve to get the most out of the blower low end. Could shift at 1800 and make the same power you do at 2500, netting alot better mileage imo. Sadly tho, all in all, top end wont have the same amount of power with the blower as you would with a turbo. But that hardly matters to me right now, need to get a line on a cheap m90 or m112 and figure out how much bigger our crank pulleys are, and what would need to done to make the blower go x2. I am almost sure that i will have to find a serpentine setup as well, i looked briefly at my v-belts yesterday... and just dont see a good way to get 2 belts up there without killing the AC

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if the intake has to be thru the back on one of these m90's.. or could one be rigged to have the intake thru the top where the intercooler plenium bolts on??

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seawalker.... that is awesome about the cfm info... im not too bad at math, i just have no idea how you would calculate that. So what kinda boost do the blowers make on the t-bird / GM cars? Im guessin 6-8lbs. But im sure that was max cfm, and the gasser is turnin twice the rpms, so in essence we would need to drive the SC twice as fast. im really thinkin of throwin one on my 7.3 right now and just callin it good, instead of the HX35g... potentially alot less work. Build a plate, bolt it to the intake, bolt the blower on and done.

Would really look for a 93/94 pump to play with fuel curve to get the most out of the blower low end. Could shift at 1800 and make the same power you do at 2500, netting alot better mileage imo. Sadly tho, all in all, top end wont have the same amount of power with the blower as you would with a turbo. But that hardly matters to me right now, need to get a line on a cheap m90 or m112 and figure out how much bigger our crank pulleys are, and what would need to done to make the blower go x2. I am almost sure that i will have to find a serpentine setup as well, i looked briefly at my v-belts yesterday... and just dont see a good way to get 2 belts up there without killing the AC

The m90's flow 520cfm at 12000rpm. The serpentine crank pulley is 7", I will be using a 1.929 pulley which puts me at 11974rpm blower speed at 3300rpm engine speed.

my 429 (bored .040 over) at 3300rpm, at 85% VE will flow 340cfm.

520/340=1.529x14.7=22.48psia-14.7=7.78psi boost pressure. This doesn't figure in temperature increase, but it will give you an idea. I can post later if you really want to know how to figure it out.

The thunderbirds ran 12psi stock, power peaked at 4600rpm, and red line was 5300-5500.

232x2750=638000/1728=369.2x.85=313.8cfm

420x1650=693000/1728=401x.85=340.8cfm

445x1650=734250/1728=424x.85=361cfm

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, thats impressive... like are you a math teacher? maybe i should have just paid attention in highschool.

Riddle me this "youre going to use a 1.929" pulley" does that mean you know how to get one, make one ect?

On this subject, what is the limit on the blower as far as boost and / or rpms go?

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, thats impressive... like are you a math teacher? maybe i should have just paid attention in highschool.

Riddle me this "youre going to use a 1.929" pulley" does that mean you know how to get one, make one ect?

On this subject, what is the limit on the blower as far as boost and / or rpms go?

I'm going to weld an alternator pulley to the one that is on the blower. It will work for now. The max flow and rpm are both at 12000rpm. The 5th generation Eaton blowers can spike to 14000rpm, but should only be used at 12000 continuous. They also shouldn't be making more than 2.0 pressure ratio (15psi boost), after that they get very inefficient, and the power they take to drive goes crazy. For the m90 at it's max speed at 5psi it draws 28hp at 10psi it draws 44hp, so you can imagine it would take at least 60hp at 15psi. The m112 takes 38hp at 5psi and 58hp at 10psi.:eek: You would need at least an m112 to make 15psi on our engines if you plan on revving above 3000rpm.

By the way, all the information I am posting is legitimate. I have all the blower maps and specifications on my computer. I'm not just making it up. Just in case anybody was wondering.

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never questioned it .. till now... you bring it up and i wonder... lol jk my friend. Im personally not looking for anything above 10, but at the same time, i would like to see 10, anything more is just a bonus.

Welding a pulley, to a pulley... gunna be real honest here, that doesnt sound all that smart to me anyway. At 12k rpms, i would be concerned about balancing for starters. What about having the Alt. pulley milled to go on the SC shaft?

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never questioned it .. till now... you bring it up and i wonder... lol jk my friend. Im personally not looking for anything above 10, but at the same time, i would like to see 10, anything more is just a bonus.

Welding a pulley, to a pulley... gunna be real honest here, that doesnt sound all that smart to me anyway. At 12k rpms, i would be concerned about balancing for starters. What about having the Alt. pulley milled to go on the SC shaft?

I've thought about getting it milled. I don't know what I am going to do yet, I'm going to check with the local machine shops first. I am a little worried about the balance though. If I screw it up there is no shortage of gm 3800blowers around here.LOL