pic of a super charged 7.3 idi that's pulling

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure those two belong in the same post :rotflmao That turbo came out in 1988... in 6 years and some change it will be a classic, since then we have these nifty things called computers that allow us to make waaaay more efficient turbos. Running a blower inline i would be looking more towards something like a WG s366 or hx50w.

I've got a t-70, which is a little bigger than an hx50. I'll be able to run over 40 psi if I can ever get it to spool.LOL

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure those two belong in the same post :rotflmao That turbo came out in 1988... in 6 years and some change it will be a classic, since then we have these nifty things called computers that allow us to make waaaay more efficient turbos. Running a blower inline i would be looking more towards something like a WG s366 or hx50w. From the small amount of reading ive gotten accomplished the air the blower is forcing through, whether to burn extra fuel or not, is in essence spooling the turbo, causing it to light faster than normal, potentially even better than twins depending on setup and application. Have a nice big turbo on there waiting to spool from say 2k-2200 up to 4k at 20lbs+ and still be right in the middle of the map. An 088.... couldnt do that efficiently if you put an afterburner on it and fed it jet fuel.

I meant upgrade the 088 when I get one... my bad. LOL. The 088 turbine housing is actually pretty big cus they are non-gated. That is why I would just upgrade the compressor side. Also the compressor isn't working as hard if the SC is providing some of the boost thus keeping it in the middle of the compressor map. I'm just hoping with some experimentation that it works...

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first thought after reading that, sounds like compounding the heat problem. But i was also thinking about the Y thing, the boost the blower made would probably overflow out of the turbo, or slow its spooling or something else undesireable. If all else fails, lets build it, shove a boost gauge between the turbo and SC, and one after the SC and see what happens. Its too late to think this hard. To be continued.

Thats what my intercooler and water/methanol injection is for. It'll keep things cool enough.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the blower is a fixed displacement, and it's going to move what it is going to move at a given rpm, I don't think it would restrict a whole lot. The turbo is just essentially feeding a bigger engine than a 6.9 or 7.3.

The reason I'm looking into an m90 setup, is because I just put on a 70mm turbo that is having a hard time spooling. If I get the m90 and run 8psi of boost, it will be like putting that turbo on a 10.6l engine rather than my 6.9.

When did you put that on and how many psi are you running now and what is your max boost target? Do you also have any fuel upgrades?

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When did you put that on and how many psi are you running now and what is your max boost target? Do you also have any fuel upgrades?

Here's the thread.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50484&highlight=propane+light

It will run 15psi in second gear, 10psi in first, and it just stays at 15 the rest of the time.

I don't have a boost target, I'm really just trying to build a head gasket blowing machine.LOL

The only fuel upgrades I have is ats torque pro 2000 propane injection.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's a little more "outside of the box thinking"........
MBZ uses a supercharger on their V8 models that is a "on demand" design.
an electric clutch on the pulley engages the drive belt. over at benzworld, there is a consensus the pulley/belt combo is good to 8psi. some have pushed to 15 psi. what makes them unique is the bypass valve that closes off the intake air and putting the flow through the supercharger. so....if we can get this idea to work in reverse ie. to work on the low end until the turbo lights off and then takes over. air valve opens and the electric clutch disengages. no parasitic drag and no air velocity loss....bonus;Sweet
for the curious, the stock S55 MBZ SL with and without the supercharger engaged is like hyperdrive or not. on a 7* to 10* grade onramp, my CCdually is hitting 60 mph and the S55 was past 120 mph at the same reference point when I flattened the throttle. here's some pics to stir the pot.:D
one more thing...yes there is nothing cheap about this idea. but if your goal is to work around the design inefficiencies of a blower/turbo combo, this will put it within reach just one step closer.

Attachments

• sl55amg1.jpg
    sl55amg1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 20
  • sl55amg2.jpg
    sl55amg2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 18
  • mbzs55electricclutch.jpg
    mbzs55electricclutch.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 14
  • mbzs55electricclutch2.jpg
    mbzs55electricclutch2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 15

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the thread.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50484&highlight=propane+light

It will run 15psi in second gear, 10psi in first, and it just stays at 15 the rest of the time.

I don't have a boost target, I'm really just trying to build a head gasket blowing machine.LOL

The only fuel upgrades I have is ats torque pro 2000 propane injection.

Hmmm that looks like a decent setup you have. It should make decent power too. Do you have studs? That is definitely a necessity to push your boost any higher. But after that, I'd say try 25 psi or whatever you are comfortable pushing. And do the m90. It'll light that thing like crazy!!

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nevermind... I see you have studs. And post that video you talked about on your thread!!! LOL

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the blower is a fixed displacement, and it's going to move what it is going to move at a given rpm, I don't think it would restrict a whole lot. The turbo is just essentially feeding a bigger engine than a 6.9 or 7.3., it will be like putting that turbo on a 10.6l engine rather than my 6.9.

Never thought of it that way, and this is without going into raising the the governor. Down the road when i build my 6.9 i was thinking of something like hx35 / hx50 twins but maybe a small blower and hx50 or comparable might be the trick. After all, the point of twins is low rpm quick spooling, and with that said, whats better than boost at an idle? With the right blower and pulley you could have one wicked fuel ramp. Enough low end to break just about whatever you wanted to lol.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's a little more "outside of the box thinking"........
MBZ uses a supercharger on their V8 models that is a "on demand" design.
an electric clutch on the pulley engages the drive belt. over at benzworld, there is a consensus the pulley/belt combo is good to 8psi. some have pushed to 15 psi. what makes them unique is the bypass valve that closes off the intake air and putting the flow through the supercharger. so....if we can get this idea to work in reverse ie. to work on the low end until the turbo lights off and then takes over. air valve opens and the electric clutch disengages. no parasitic drag and no air velocity loss....bonus;Sweet
for the curious, the stock S55 MBZ SL with and without the supercharger engaged is like hyperdrive or not. on a 7* to 10* grade onramp, my CCdually is hitting 60 mph and the S55 was past 120 mph at the same reference point when I flattened the throttle. here's some pics to stir the pot.:D
one more thing...yes there is nothing cheap about this idea. but if your goal is to work around the design inefficiencies of a blower/turbo combo, this will put it within reach just one step closer.

The guy who did the SC on the Cummins actually used the internal bypass on the Eaton MP90to that too. I guess it worked well also but I actually want it to got through the SC on mine. I want it to further compress the air.

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm that looks like a decent setup you have. It should make decent power too. Do you have studs? That is definitely a necessity to push your boost any higher. But after that, I'd say try 25 psi or whatever you are comfortable pushing. And do the m90. It'll light that thing like crazy!!

Ya, I've got studs, and new fel pros. I'm going to try 40psi, after I get an intercooler of course. That will give me a dynamic c/r of around 68:1, that's like a powerstroke running 55psi. I don't care if it destroys the engine, I'll just build it better. IDI's run pretty cheap around here. I do know I need more fuel to support that though.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never thought of it that way, and this is without going into raising the the governor. Down the road when i build my 6.9 i was thinking of something like hx35 / hx50 twins but maybe a small blower and hx50 or comparable might be the trick. After all, the point of twins is low rpm quick spooling, and with that said, whats better than boost at an idle? With the right blower and pulley you could have one wicked fuel ramp. Enough low end to break just about whatever you wanted to lol.

Exactly. Compound turbos would be awesome to though on an idi. Look up Flatlander on here. He used to have a setup where he ran a Banks turbo in conjunction with a PSD turbo that was located under the bed. He would hit 20 psi quickly and couldn't get his egts above like 650* iirc. That just means he was outa fuel if you ask me. I think he had more power left in his setup.

429idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never thought of it that way, and this is without going into raising the the governor.

I'm getting some 4400rpm springs from a 5.7 chev idi. Not because I want to turn 4400rpm, but because it appears that it won't start cutting off my fuel before I want it to.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, I've got studs, and new fel pros. I'm going to try 40psi, after I get an intercooler of course. That will give me a dynamic c/r of around 68:1, that's like a powerstroke running 55psi. I don't care if it destroys the engine, I'll just build it better. IDI's run pretty cheap around here. I do know I need more fuel to support that though.

Dude go for it. I think it can be done. We just have to push the threshold...

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a boost target, I'm really just trying to build a head gasket blowing machine.

Sounds fun.. kinda lolcookoo Have you done anything to drop the compression? This is my other hidden idea about running a blower, theoretically in my mind that would allow running even lower than "lower" static compression. Say the blower is boosting 2-3lbs at idle. That would make a 17-1 engine more like 18-1 at idle... if ya get me, then again at this point im not sure that i get myself, but im havin fun. With a blower that is going to boost no matter what, you could drop the CR waaay down, fuel like crazy, and light that big ol' nasty turbo you have. Set the propane to come in with the turbo, and i dont see 40lbs as a problem. So long as you have the fuel to make it all happen.