Perkins Swap into older dodge

tommy_harrell

Reaction score
I have a '79 Dodge 1 ton 2wd, that has always ran poorly and after a recent trans failure and engine fire, I have been thinking about swapping a 4.318 Perkins (4 banger N/A) into abut I have been unable to locate any transmissions for perkins motors. I was hoping to find a way to mount a Chevy turbo 400. the truck will see very little highway use. The 4.318 is coming out of a Massey Ferguson 540 combine and I have several to work with (Massey have great motors 4.318 in the 540; 6.354 in 550 and 750; 6.354T in late 750 and early 850; lastly a charge cooled 6.354T in late 850)

just looking for advise
TIA

Tommy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry i cant be of much help to you but i wish you luck and hopefully well see some cool project pictures. It would be a very interesting conversion.
Thanks for the post!

Matt

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Several Massey combines came with Chebby 350s on board. You might try and locate one of those. I can't say what kind of adapter, or drive equipment they used.

I have never seen one personally, but the guy I work with saw them all the time. He used to work at a Massey dealer.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Deutz engine???

Just for thought.
In about 1975-76 I delivered a load of irrigation pumps to an irrigation co. in Stuttagart, Arkanas. They used primarily Deutz air cooled diesel engines on Irrigation stationary pumps.
They also had a new International 3/4 ton p/up in there that they were planting a 5 cyl Deutz engine into & was the 3rd truck that engine had been in....& they estimated the engine had over 300K miles & never overhauled....just brought in & serviced ever so often....air cooling fins cleaned, etc.. They said that at that time the 5 cyl fit the best.
They said that the owner was some rancher bullhauler from Mo. pulling some really long cattle trailer. They swore the truck, trailer, loaded etc was getting 16+ mpg and running w/lots power.....25-27mpg pulling empty trailer.....38-42 mpg running just straight p/up only.
They also had 2 others in there that they were servicing....1 International & 1 Ford. These engines already had a ton of miles on them.

Unique thing about the Deutz engine was that all cyl were virtually the same, just change crank, & bolt another cyl. unit onto the engine.....1 cyl, 2 cyl, 3cyl.....5cyl, 10cyl, etc, etc.

At that time an engine installed was approx. $1000/ cyl......5 cyl was approx $5000, & the 5cyl seemed to fit in p/up trucks the best.

Later I found a Deutz dealer in Dallas, Tx. All these numbers were closely verified by those folks....cost, performance, etc.

In around 1977 a guy that was leased to same Co I had semi's leased to put an aircooled Deutz engine in his old Kenworth. This was in the days that we usually got 3 1/2- 5 mpg in semi's.
Along with several other trucks, we ran from Cal. to Bayonne, NJ once. He consistently got over 8 mpg, closer to 9, & could run off from the rest anytime he wanted.
I've always remembered these engines, but never pursued, or had the money. I think the modern Deutz are totally different now-a-days....I guess.

Anyway, just a thought....

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Hey Tommy, glad to hear your looking at a perkins swap, they're great engines. I'm friends with a retired machinist from the Dana corp. Years ago in his spare time he used to do Perkins conversions into Ford and Dodge trucks. The perkins bellhousing pattern is either a sae#2 or sae#3. You can run virtually any transmission behind the engine, you just have to find a bellhousing adapter plate to fit your needs. I know my friend has at least two bellhousings in his shop that fit a Ford T-18 or T-19 behind a perkins 354. He's got allisons on the shelf and Cat's and old Detroit's, too many perkins to count, just hanging around his shop. All placed neatly on shelves and in containers. There isn't much he does'nt have for conversions. He's getting up there in the years and is starting to sell a lot of his treasures. Let me know if ya want/need anything particular, he's probably got it.

hugeredford

snow drift buster
Reaction score
I have a v-8 deutz in a gleaner combine runs 2400 rpms at 300 hp and uber torque its light and short and super exspensive to work on but it is the perfect engine if you have about 15k to buy a used one because most of the gleaner combines are burnt in the engine compartment and used ones are super rare they have the standard large truck bell housing but bon't have flywheels