Perkins is the name air bubbles the game

C

cash

I am really lost on this one!!:dunno

4.108 Perkins in a 825 Bobcat loader Lucas cav IP

This all started when I rebuilt the engine a year ago got it all together and running then started having trouble starting in the morning usually had to bleed out the air then it started OK

Then my old electric pump gave out so I replace it with Holly Blue
Starts up runs for 5 to 15 min and dies.

Injection pump shop looks at my Lucas IP and says it needs fins and liner. OK so we do that.

Install rebuilt pump and still starts and dies!

So I put some clear lines on to see where I might be getting air and find micro bubbles right out of the holly blue pump. Then I eliminate the fuel tank and replace it with gas can, (in case there is a leak in the pick up line) I still have micro bubbles out of the holly blue.

So the part store exchanges the Holly Blue and the replacement does the same thing still micro bubbles -cuss

So I set up a gravity feed to the IP and I cant get the thing to start. And I don't get any air at the return with gravity feed.
HELP!!!!!!!!

I will need to have a electric pump to operate the loader but I am told it should run with a gravity feed.

I have read enough on here to know some of you guys really know these diesels , I am real familiar with this machine and don’t think I am over looking the obvious. I really need help on this one Thanks Phil

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I am not extremely familiar with that setup but it is still basic diesel. You have now eliminated the air intrusion source and that is good.
Now, I dont think that injection pump will work rite without a few PSI behind the fuel. Gravity alone may not be enough. Try using one of the cheap electric pumps that have a solenoid in them. I have had excelent luck with them and Yanmar. The holly may just be too much for that engine.
Best of Luck
Ken

C

cash

I am not extremely familiar with that setup but it is still basic diesel. You have now eliminated the air intrusion source and that is good.
Now, I dont think that injection pump will work rite without a few PSI behind the fuel. Gravity alone may not be enough. Try using one of the cheap electric pumps that have a solenoid in them. I have had excelent luck with them and Yanmar. The holly may just be too much for that engine.
Best of Luck
Ken
looks like your on target the big problem with holly blue is it has to be located below the sorce. And there is no place safe on this loader to do that. Will that Yanmar pull the fuel 12" then push 12"more?
I did get it running by lowering the holly blue. I just set it on the ground . I could put a set of wheels on it LOL

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
Holley's only PUSH fuel, they don't have good suction and likely the reason for air(it's cavitating). The good thing is you mounted it to something that actually makes MORE noise then the Holley pump produces LOL!

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
looks like your on target the big problem with holly blue is it has to be located below the sorce. And there is no place safe on this loader to do that. Will that Yanmar pull the fuel 12" then push 12"more?
I did get it running by lowering the holly blue. I just set it on the ground . I could put a set of wheels on it LOL

I'm not quite sure I understand that push pull thing. The yanmar will not pull fuel at all really without an auxiliary pump. I am glad you are getting it straitened out though.
Best of Luck
Ken

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Holley's only PUSH fuel, they don't have good suction and likely the reason for air(it's cavitating). The good thing is you mounted it to something that actually makes MORE noise then the Holley pump produces LOL!

:rotflmao;Sweet
Ken

C

cash

THANKS

Thanks a bunch
How about this pump?
http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/Prod...d=1233606358276&cycleCount=2311&currentPage=0
in line solenoid type 6-9psi 60.00 I just don’t think it will last long.
Think I should maybe go to mech.,pump?
And I LOVE that old MAC got more pictures?

suv7734

Reaction score
There's a thread in the IDI 'department' about electric Carrier pumps. They are designed for reefers and, as such, will pull fuel up and then push it further. We have a trailer that we haul frozen, processed aircraft parts in with one of those pumps feeding the ******. It is sitting about 2 feet above the bottom of the fuel tank and the engine/IP is about 5-6 feet above that. It provides fuel for a small 3 cyl diesel engine but may be worth looking at.
Just a thought.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch
How about this pump?
http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/Prod...d=1233606358276&cycleCount=2311&currentPage=0
in line solenoid type 6-9psi 60.00 I just don’t think it will last long.
Think I should maybe go to mech.,pump?
And I LOVE that old MAC got more pictures?

Yeah, thats the one I use. It will pull uphill so no worries there. That pump should last a long time on that machine. Jus try to make sure you mount it to something. Otherwise it wil vibrate back and forth and loosen lines.
Ken

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The one used by carrier is a good pump and My second option after the holley. I hear many guys don't like them but My holley has outlasted every other pump I have even the facet pump but for Your application looks like this last one is the best, it even comes with it's own stainless steel filter ;Sweet. One of the members on the IDI forum can get them for a sweet price too.

The small pump on the link I would not recommend, I just replaced one of those bc it could not pull the fuel from above then it just died, but it was no big deal those sell for $30 at the local parts store.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Keep in mind that this is a small diesel and does not have the fuel demand of the IDI. Why go any more expensive than you have to. I have used those pumps for years on small equipment (mainly Yanmar) with no real problem. Now, I he's gonna turn the Perkins up and turn the bobcat into a tractor pull machine he'll have to consider other pumps!:rotflmao
Ken

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Keep in mind that this is a small diesel and does not have the fuel demand of the IDI. Why go any more expensive than you have to. I have used those pumps for years on small equipment (mainly Yanmar) with no real problem. Now, I he's gonna turn the Perkins up and turn the bobcat into a tractor pull machine he'll have to consider other pumps!:rotflmao
Ken

You are right, is not like the IDI. It did last some time and for the money it cost and the easy to get one, well it should do the job no problem. I just got very disappointed on this pumps and the facet used by carrier after two them died for the same reason. They were pumping fuel but they slowly died and after that even if I better the flow to them they were not working as well anymore, now the holley I have it for years and it pumps fuel like the first day.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Everyone has the parts they know and trust. I dont doubt that nor do I critisize anyone decission. I dont think I would ever put one of those on something I drive on the roadLOL I my repair days you needed the cheapest reasonable option. That pump should work just fine on a Bobcat. That is what it all boils down to nowadays....
Ken

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tony