Pensacola Diesel?

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Check out the hall of shame. I've had a good experience with Pensacola 5 or so years ago....but others have not.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They look to be the cheapest...I need it to work obviously...but a Cummins will go in in a few years

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well they have a checkered reputation here. Some good and some bad. I was one of the first members to buy and recommend them. The rebuilt pump price was exlant and free shipping. I believe it was $275. about 4 years ago. I suggested buying a pump and having it shipped directly yo Mel so it was a great pump with nothing worn out in it. That way Mels builder was not going to need to replace any expensive parts... My pump has been an ok pump but its started to leak on the advance plinger seal so... Mel will get this and turn it into a baby moose.. As posted above... Ya gets what ya pays for....

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
true but i did get a call from them because they thought THEY messed up my order so it was a plus for me

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the thing, and I have no problem with someone who wants to buy a cheap rebuild, but know this. You DO get what you pay for. A large component of the price is the labor spent on rebuilding it. Let's face it, we all know how businesses work. You can make your money on volume, or you can make your money on reputation. If your working the volume angle, like Walmart, Pensecola, McDonalds, or what have you, your going for the lowest price. That means getting the lowest price from your suppliers, and paying the cheapest you can for labor. It also means skipping time consuming things, like inspections, quality analysis, retrofitting, updates, basically anything that is optional to producing the product at the minimum acceptable level. That level, as far as IP's are concerned, is that it makes your truck run, and doesn't leak. However, that doesn't mean it will make your truck run WELL, get the best power and economy, and do it for longer than what the warranty period covers. Here at Moose labs, my assistant Breaker (Ok... ok... I really don't have an assistant named Breaker, but the whole muppet labs thing was just sounding too funny! LOL) has taken many pumps sent in for Mooseification, and the thing we find consistent with the lower cost rebuilds is this. Worn parts, old seals, faulty solenoids, dirt, rust and scale, and improper assembly. Typically, yes the pump MIGHT run OK. For a year or so. But these guys do not rebuild the advance mechanisms, and they do not clean the insides until they are spotless, and they do not replace the little stuff that can make or break a pump. So if you choose to save $200 or $300 bucks, just know that your not really saving anything, because you will be spending more money again very soon. In fact, you may buy 3 pumps in the time that one high quality pump would have lasted. There is no free ride people! You can pay now or pay later, but you will pay.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm on the same page with Mel. I know what I get when I deal with him and thats someone who stands behind what they sel and offer you much more than you pay for. Reputation or volume is the best way to explain this too. How many of us what a great thing as compared to just wanting something not so great.. We all want the best item we can afford and justify for the price. When I bought one of the first pensacola pumps I was a test dummy but I had a mose pump too so it was a validation both ways. Is the pensacola pump anywhere close to the moose pump... Nope, not even close but its a running pump too that I have run till it failed too. It leaks fuel past the plunger seal and no. I wont try to finx it either. About as deep into these pump I have ever gotten is the front inlet taken apart to check the screen and o-rong. I have made many trips into the turn up or down fuel side but no deeper. I forgot how many hundereds of parts are in these pumps. Ebay sells a gasket repair kit but just looking at it tells me I'm better of not getting into these pumps. Buying the cheapest of anything is going to cost you in the end thats a known fact. Fix it once... Fix it right and drive on happy you did the right thing.

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
I compleatly agree with what agnem & icanfixall are telling us. I also know that when i buy cheaper products that 9 out of10 times they will fail, but knowing that and still going the rout that I can affored at the time is a gamble that I take. On that info I am off work for the winter until I get called back in the spring so my options are limited on what I can spend and I will be getting a moose pump & injectors plus the fuel return from type4 when I have the extra money. So the bottom line is I buy cheaper now knowing the risk but not having a choice until the spring/early summer when I will be spending more money on the same things (but better quality) that i just spent my limited funds on.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats just what we are all saying. We all spend what we can afford when the funds are available. What everyone here is saying is that cheaper iteams are that way for a reason. Nobody here wants anyone to feel the cheapest is just as good as the most expensive. Thats why reasons are given here or costs. Mel and a very good example of what "loked" like a good deal. He needed a fender mount solenoid so he found a good looking one. It didn't last very long so he took it apart and the old factory solenoid that had many years of use when it failed. turns out the new part looked the same on the outside but.. The inside material was sub par compared to the oem part. So the looks really means nothing and what Mel did was something good for all of us. If you think about it this forum has many members all over the world what are trying to do something with these trucks. Thats a lot to testing going on. So when something is found out thats a benifit to others its posted here and we all have an oppertunity to talk about it. We as a collective are doing this. Not Ford or International. They both let us go many years ago so we are on our own from here on out. This is a shareing forum of what works and what doesn't work with reasons too. Money talks loud and clear too.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
purg113:
I hope that the u-haul pump rebuilt by DieseLogic I sent you is OK, you should have it by today. Many members here had purchased them and so far I haven't heard or read anything bad about them. If anyone has/had trouble with them, please chime in and let me know.

crab bucket

Crab Bucket
Reaction score
I had two u-haul pumps turn out to be duds. Both were Diesel Logic rebuilds fresh from the shrink wrap. I must have picked up two from the same bad Monday morning rebuild. U-Haul was willing to exchange the first bad one and the second I just consider a core for a moose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726