Parking break adjustment?

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to adjust the parking break on these trucks? I figured my cable was broke. I climbed under it this evening, and everything looks pretty good. The pass side is a little stiff in the rear, but the cable does slide back and forth. There's just so much slack in the system, that I can put the E brake to the floor and barely have any resistance. I don't see any where on the brake pedal, or along the cables to make any kind of adjustment. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where the single cable ends on the bar, there should be a threaded bolt on each cable to the wheels. Jack up the truck and take up on each cable just so each wheel turns freely. Before doing that, adjust the shoes on each wheel. On 4 wheel disc brakes, the E-brake has it's own shoes and drum.

"Is there a way to adjust the parking break on these trucks?" It's not "break", It's "brake", or it would be broke.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny, when I called my dad this evening, he said the same thing. No dice though. There are no threaded studs. The ends of all three cables are identical, and they just slip into the yoke. There really isn't a bar either. It's just a piece of steel that's been stamped into a U for strength, and has holes punched in for the cables to slip into. Wish I had been able to take a picture.

"Is there a way to adjust the parking break on these trucks?" It's not "break", It's "brake", or it would be broke.

Well, since the brake doesn't work, it might as well be broke, right? :sly

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is because you have a '93 truck, in '92 Ford introduced this engineering failure of a parking brake pedal assembly that is supposed to be self-adjusting, hence the lack of need for the threaded rod the earlier models have. Well, guess what, there is a TSB on that bull, the truck's owner at that time was supposed to bring the truck into a dealership where a wedge would have been installed to lock the self-adjuster in the pedal assembly into a fixed-pull, and then a threaded rod would have been installed (if you ask for that and raise hell about it too).

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had some parking brake issues on my truck as a result of a bad rear brake job done by the previous owner cookoo Once i got everything working right all i had to do to adjust the rear brakes to get everything working like it should and my truck does not have threaded rod either. All I can suggest is make sure your rear brakes are adjusted If the are adjusted correctly then the pedal should be nice and stiff;Sweet Are you sure your rear brakes are assembled correctly:confused: Just asking

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Try adjusting up the rear brakes with a brake spoon. Usually the self adjusters don't work so we adjust the rear brakes manually.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I haven't looked at the rear brakes yet. I didn't have time to do that last night like I wanted too. Adjusting the rear brakes MAY work, but my consern is that right now I have to run the pedal down about 3/4 of the way before either of the rear lines start to move.

Is there any way that I can take it to a dealership now and make them do the repair that one of the previous owners obviously failed to have done, or is it pretty much too late for that?

If need be, I will make something to do the job. Dad described a device that they used to sell that would take the slack out of the line. Should be very easy to make. If nothing else I'll make one of those. I just want to get the brake working. I've found a lot of times when I stopped somewhere for just a few seconds and I would have rather left the engine running, but I didn't have any way to chock my wheels or anything.

Thanks agian!
Mark

OnDaRoad

On the road ....
Reaction score
Ran into this with my rear end swap ....

This is because you have a '93 truck, in '92 Ford introduced this engineering failure of a parking brake pedal assembly that is supposed to be self-adjusting, hence the lack of need for the threaded rod the earlier models have. Well, guess what, there is a TSB on that bull, the truck's owner at that time was supposed to bring the truck into a dealership where a wedge would have been installed to lock the self-adjuster in the pedal assembly into a fixed-pull, and then a threaded rod would have been installed (if you ask for that and raise hell about it too).

Thanks for your post ..... ;Sweet

I was going to start a thread asking if there was any brake adjustment
on a 94' F350 dually at the controller ....

I switched my rear differential over from the 90' which has the
adjustment possible - the 94' just has the yoke ..... cookoo

Emergency brake is too tight - brakes are locked up
with the emergency brake released - emergency brake worked
before the swap ... :dunno

I was wondering if there is any adjustment in the emergency
brake pedal/release mechanism - I take it there is none.

So I will use the adjuster off the 90' .... :D

Jim

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You just need to adjust those rear brakes. If the parking brake pedal goes down further than half way, your brakes are out of adjustment.
Tightening a cable isn't going to solve the problem because if you have to make a panic stop, you wont :eek: :bail:idiot:

You could spend a bunch of money and replace all teh auto slack adjuster parts on both sides... but they still won't work worth a flip, and even when they do work, tehy only work in reverse. I live on a hill and about once a week I stop at teh top and back my way down nailing teh brakes every few feet enough to jiggle the shoes to move teh adjusters, but they still get out of adjustment after a while to where I have to jack it up and set them

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know if this can work in your situation but they are for stretched cables and such that need more slack adjustment

You must be registered for see images

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
You just need to adjust those rear brakes. If the parking brake pedal goes down further than half way, your brakes are out of adjustment.
Tightening a cable isn't going to solve the problem because if you have to make a panic stop, you wont :eek: :bail:idiot:

You could spend a bunch of money and replace all teh auto slack adjuster parts on both sides... but they still won't work worth a flip, and even when they do work, tehy only work in reverse. I live on a hill and about once a week I stop at teh top and back my way down nailing teh brakes every few feet enough to jiggle the shoes to move teh adjusters, but they still get out of adjustment after a while to where I have to jack it up and set them

Agreed.

Had A similar problem on my truck. E- Brake would go all the way to the floor and would not hold the truck even on the slightest grade.

I just went thru my brakes on my 97. I had the rear shoes on wrong.I had the big shoe on the back but the problem was the doubled metal at the top of the shoe was to the backing plate. The doubled piece should be OUT. And 3 of my e-brake cables were stretched.

Now not only does my e-brake hold at half pedal, the service brakes work MUCH better