Overfueling

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Apparantly my fuel is turned up too much. Driving around empty you would never know, but yesterday I pulled my travel trailer from 1 job to another (about 50 miles), grossing 13,200 per scales. The pull went fine except I couldn't use overdrive per egt's, and couldn't go over 62 mph per egt's.

Black dawg

Reaction score
What egt?
what boost?
what timing?
something sounds wrong to me.

that is an awfully light load to be limited to 62 mph in drive by egt.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Air filter may be bad, anything over 62 and my egt would climb to 1100 quick, overdrive on and it would do the same. Timing at 8.8 6000 ago. Going 60 with od off it pushed about 7.5 psi.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What exhaust do you have... If its straight piped and your seeing that high of pyro then I say the filter or the pump is too high.. Also seeing the DPS pump has me worried too. Was the trailer 13200 or the complete tow that weight.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Well, I have heard that timing that is more on the advanced side would yeild slightly lower EGT's compared to retarded timing.. Your timing isn't really what I would call retarded however and bumping it up to closer to 9.5 porbably wouldn't completly remedy your issue....though it might help a bit.

And it wont hurt to turn your fuel down.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would slap a new air filter on there and see if that helps. If it is dirty, you will definitely see higher temps. If you do that step and still experience high temps, I would turn down that dps pump like Gary stated above and make sure your timing is spot on.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
It's the K&N that the banks comes with. The exhaust is the 3.5" the banks comes with, with the muffler. The timing is set often (every other oil change, or at most every 3), the injectors are pop tested just as often, I'm leaning towards the fuel setting in the pump.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wel.. From all this new info I say clean the filter. See what that does. Then turn down the fuel after that if the temps are still high.. Maybe get rid of the muffler too. That will positively reduce the temps because there is no or very less restriction.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I need a few things to happen, that all look pretty promising.

Typ4 is working on intercooler piping,
Mel is working on a better turbo for us,
I'm working on getting some sort of gear splitter,
and it looks like I'm gonna have off mid june to mid july.

Black dawg

Reaction score
You have airflow issues. Turning down the fuel rate wont help unless you were floored.

at 18-20k gross, I run 5 psi and 900deg in OD at 65. This is intercooled, so add 100 deg, and we are at 1000.

The biggest load I have pulled with this truck put me at 10 psi and 1000 deg in drive at 2500.

Oh yeah, and timing set at 5 deg pulse.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I wasn't nearly floored. I had enough throttle that I feel like I could have pulled 75-80, but the temps wouldn't let me. I'll check the filter tomorrow when I get off work.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Maybe get rid of the muffler too. That will positively reduce the temps because there is no or very less restriction.

The banks "mufflers" are straight through like a cherry bomb glasspack.
I don't see it holding heat. Though personally, I see absolutely no need for a "muffler" on a turbo idi.