Outside wear both front tires.

Cainon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alignment done still prematurely wearing on the outside of both front tires. No lift. Thinking needs new springs?

Black dawg

Reaction score
Alignment done still prematurely wearing on the outside of both front tires. No lift. Thinking needs new springs?
Need to have the alignment looked at again. Can you post the alignment printout they gave you?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
IMHO, outside tire wear on the twin beam suspension usually means you're riding high/tall. Or overly toed in.

Did you get it aligned with a payload similar to what you normally drive with? Or do you drive 'light' usually and they aligned it assuming a hefty payload?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I should add... a heavy trailer or loading heavy aft of the rear axle can raise the front end.

Cainon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had it aligned empty. And typically is empty. Besides my toolbox. But still not much. Riding high. So should I cut the spring?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I think the ends of the spring are uniquely formed. They are on the 89ish F250 2wd I wrecked out; the beam end is twisted down to a small eyelet, and the frame end is bent over like the end of a heli-coil (that you snap off.)

Perhaps a lower rate spring is the answer.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alignments are expensive. Tires are expensive. They should guarantee their work. Don't let them tell you "all those trucks do that". Get them to put it on the machine and like someone else said, get the print-out from the machine. Those alignment machines are expensive, but a properly trained tech can get your truck squared away with one of them, it does most of the hard figuring for them.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I almost forgot... there's camber bushings of varying degrees if it has balljoints. Not sure about that if it has kingpins. IIRC, back in the day, they'd heat and bend the beams as needed.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finding a good alignment shop is tough. It’s hard to find one that can even get the steering wheel straight on a newer vehicle. Start talking about 30+ year old trucks and it’s even harder. I wouldn’t be surprised if all they did was adjust the toe and send it. I also wouldn’t be surprised if they set it with a little extra toe-in as it makes things feel a bit tighter. That extra toe-in will eat up the tires too like you described.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a guess here but IF you have a kingpin front axle then worn bushing and spring in the upper kingpin assembly would also cause the tire wear you speak of. I had this on my front axle and it's a very cheap and easy fix.

As an aside, it does help if you fill in your signature with your truck's details. Good luck.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a guess here but IF you have a kingpin front axle then worn bushing and spring in the upper kingpin assembly would also cause the tire wear you speak of. I had this on my front axle and it's a very cheap and easy fix.

As an aside, it does help if you fill in your signature with your truck's details. Good luck.
Another good point; A good alignment shop will not do an alignment on the vehicle with worn frontend parts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online