Ordered my Ranger

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I ordered my Ranger O/D today, lucky thing too.. Apparently its 'built to order', like jack in the box.. They start on it tomorrow, and won't have it ready for 6 weeks. Ugh!
That puts my T19 swap that much further down the road.. But give me time to plan a little better too.

Now that I've coped with the idea that its gonna have to wait, I've decided to start buying parts for the engine and go ahead and pull the engine while the trans is out.. i'm thinking rear main, studs and typ4 cam, maybe a head rebuild. What else? Give me ideas people!

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a pretty good plan already! Just about everything I want to do to my truck. I look forward to getting the engine out of mine, so I can clean all that old nasty grease off the frame...firewall...etc. and then paint everything up like new. Good luck with it!

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Guys with T19's and 3.55:1's how well does that run you towing? Im thinking about doing that swap as well as the ranger O/D. In theory it will work better than the E4OD with 4.10:1's, because of the lower first.. But I bet its not exactly the same as it is on paper..

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a t19 and I did have 3.55's. Towing a 18 foot fully loaded travel trailer with a box full of firewood and other camping supplies with a N/A 6.9 was do-able but lathargic and the fuel mileage was reasonable.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
So if it's doable with an NA 6.9 then it shouldn't be bad at all with a turbo'd, cam'd and studded 7.3 w/ 4 extra gears?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I feel your thinking is sound. More gears to choose from is not a bad thing but it can get confusing what gear your in sometimes.. I forget what gear I'm in with my E4OD and gear vendors on the freeways. I have to look at the lites to tell me what gear I'm in sometimes.. Its kind of a wake up call when I'm doing 75 in gv overdrive and locked out of the E4OD overdrive. Then drop out the gear vendors overdrive. The engine wakes up the dead ass behind the wheel for sure... I need to watch better what I'm doing....cookoo:angel:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool! I just wish they made one to go between the transmission and the transfer case, so you could use it in conjunction with a ZF5... :angel:

swervyjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to an instal writeup. I was about to order one to put in front of a np435 when i found my spicer 7041. Then today I figured out that that the t19 in my pickup has a 5.11 first which explained the huge gap between 3rd and 4th so a ranger would be perfect.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
In all reality, its only 3 extra gears.. If you O/D 3rd, you get 1.03:1, which is useless when 4th is 1:1

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought my n/a 7.3 with t-19 and 3.55 gears pulled fine. It wasn't a powerhouse, but 7-8K behind it I could pull as fast as I needed to. I'd loose speed on hills, but I figured that was to be expected. When I added my US gear then I could split 3rd to 4th and had 4th over it really helped. My only complaint on the t-19 is the jump between 3rd and 4th.

I've always thought 3.73 gears would be the perfect gear. 3.55's are almost too high when running 60-70. Now with a turbo lower RPM may not be as big a deal.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Rangers are good when You pull trailers often or heavy, not so much if You plan to drive in the city a lot. You will learn which gears You want to split, most likely 2 to 3rd and then OD. Make sure You drive enough miles before You dump the first oil fill.

swervyjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted one mostly for the split between 3rd and 4th in town. With the 5.11 t19 3rd gear is 1.79 so im either winding out 3rd or lugging 4th. Being able to do more than 55 on yhe interstate would be nice too.