Opti's try at ram air, part 1

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
I finally got the courage to tackle making a ram air intake set up.

i went to lowe's and bought:
- 24" long 4" alm dryer ducting
- 3 90* 4" alm dryer ducting elbows
- one 25' roll of duct insulation

i also found some 4" galvanized stove pipe in the garage which im glad i did. being hesitant for so long i finally decided why not and hack up the rad support. first i removed the bracket that holds rad to the support. then i fab up a bracket to replace what i removed:
You must be registered for see images attach

then i removed a generous amount of metal to make room for the ducting:

then i fashioned the duct work and utalized the stock flexy hose to make removal easy:

Here is the view from the outside:

going to cover it and the intake base with this after i get the new lid also gunna rivet it together after the initial shake down to see if it moves much and how much improvement is made and if it works out tidy up the bracket, paint and clean up the edges.

Last edited:

tractorman86

Reaction score
Wes Adams FORD428CJ
Built Ford Tuff With Good Ford Stuff
79 F-250 X-Cab 4x4 6.9 Turbo Diesel
64 Falcon 428 X-Ram
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with X-Ram 428
67 Stang 351 C/J

dont mean to hijack but-Drool -Drool -Drool -Drool -Drool -Drool -Drool -Drool man you sure have a nice stable. been wanting a falcon with a 428 since i was like 8!!! and i am also a huge stang fan cant wait to finish the one in my sig.:thumbsup:
not too bad there opti. let us know how she does!

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
what i noticed with my mock up and this, my exhaust tone has changed (deeper) and it doesnt cackle as much...before i was running the air cleaner and that was it.

im also gunna fashion a bracket to hold the duct work up at the rad support.

do u guys thing what i made is sufficent to hold the radiator in place and keep it from damaging anything else? it feels solid, just like the other side and the steel is quite thick.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
actaully that was my concern, what keeps those bolts from letting that strap piece rotate? if it is just the two bolt themselves i would say no. i would triangulate them like the pic. i cant see the overall pic but i also might be worried that the radiator could move forward and back like if you hit the gas or brakes hard since it dousent have that lip anymore on the radiator support.

the ram air looks nice though;Sweet

Attachments

• bracket.JPG
    bracket.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 1

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
do u guys thing what i made is sufficent to hold the radiator in place and keep it from damaging anything else? it feels solid, just like the other side and the steel is quite thick.

I boxed out the factory bracket to get the aluminum tubing I have setp up on Goldie and it has held together quite well for the past few years.;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I did the same thing but with the flexible aluminum stuff. Dropped my egt's by 250+ degree's........Keep us posted!

Are you talking about doing this to your turbo IDI? That is a huge drop, dont you have the old ATS style turbo (non-wastegated)? I'm going to do an intake on mine pretty soon. Right know I have the old snorkle tube running to it, but not attached. So the airbox is open to the engine compartment, but that snorkel is blowing fresh air in its direction.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
it has been 10 days since i did this and so far so good. next week ill try insulating and riveting it together.

it does pull hills a lot better, and winds up quicker. i guess only thing left is to turn up the fuel after i add the pyro.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online