Opportunity Deal, Should I or Shouldn't I?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I stopped at a truck parts and service shop today to get a fuel filter for my truck, which I discovered I did not need since my fuel pump is the culprit, and had a service tech come out and talk to me about my truck. He went on about how he wished he had never sold his old 6.9 and how badly he wanted it back. But then mentioned he had several brand new parts for it that have been just collecting dust in his garage for almost a year.
He has a pair of brand new front leaf springs (his truck was a TTB, but he said they are positively arched for a solid beam) with brand new bushings installed, a pair of new bilstein rear shocks, a new baldwin fuel filter (guessing for a 6.9 since thats what he had), a new glow plug relay, and a brand new pair of contenintal industrial grade batteries.
I asked how much he'd want for it and he said I could have all of it for the cost of the batteries.
Should I do it or not? If those springs turn out to be TTB springs, I don't think I could use them because all my F250's are now converted to D60's.

Also does anyone know if those batteries are any good?
Let me know what you think. Part of me wants to jump on it but the other part doesn't want to have a bunch of crap I can't use sitting around either.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends. How old are the batteries and how much does he want? If it's cheap, then sure. If he wants full price on batteries that have been sitting in his garage for 10 years, I'd pass.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Price is important. So is being able to use or sell off the stuff too. Maybe find out the the cash price is and then decide.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
It depends. How old are the batteries and how much does he want? If it's cheap, then sure. If he wants full price on batteries that have been sitting in his garage for 10 years, I'd pass.

Heath

This. I would first ask when he sold the truck, then when he got the batteries. I would use the second answer to try to determine if he was lying and the age of the batteries. The total cost is the biggest factor along with battery age, IMHO.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Batteries over a year old, not properly stored may be useless, especially if they were stored on a concrete floor- DONE! If they went below 9V's... gonners.

A couple of batteries a year ago may have been $69-$129.00 each, depends on size. Industrial means nothing, sometimes it's just an ugly label on an automotive battery. Also, industrial can mean 6V or 8V. Gotta know voltage, CCA's, class size and if you can, sneak over there to look at them before he removes them from their current resting place.

If you have a buddy with a conductance tester, it can tell you a lot about the battery health. They can test discharged batteries even when they're cold. Some of the portables only test up to 1200 amps though, so if those are indeed 12V industrials, gotta know ahead f time if they're rated beyond the meter to test, or you'll get a false test. Chances are, it won't be an issue for a battery fit for our trucks....or most any light duty truck.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Smaller issue, but my understanding is that filters only have a shelf life of 1 year, even if shrinkwrapped. Beyond that and they can rust inside?

Does that sound correct?

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes and no. In Southern Klownifornia where the weather is dry year round, not a lot of moisture issues, in Michigan, Washington or even in the South where relative humidity is high year round, they can rust out, even shrink wrapped. They certainly do in the marine world- even in SoKlown. Anything made of steel will attract water like magnets and rust. I've seen filters sealed in zip locks totally rusted out, owners in amazement.

I think you're on the right track about being a little suspicious of the old filters too. I'd take a good look at them before committing, although I buy a case of filters every year for all my vehicles(quantity purchases even at deep discount sites garners bigger discounts), but my garage is 40 miles inland and not subject to a lot of humidity.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fizzle