Oog does a waterpump.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oog uses too many definite articles in his speech - his english much too good for his name. :rotflmao

Seriously, good write up & nice pics. I always get the job done and then realize I was going to take a bunch of pictures....

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, I see problem - someone tried sending a redneck to college.... :rotflmao

You sound like me - overly educated, well paying job and still driving a truck almost older than I am and older than 98% of my peers. ;Sweet

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hay, an old beat to hell truck can be very reliabule. that was how my old 71 f250 with a 360 an t18 was

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I like this post.. Problem is I have no peers...:eek::D In all honesty I'm amazed all the time at what I learn on this site. No matter my post count is a record breaker every time I post. The count means nothing when you learn from others. My helping others is my reason for being here. We have a few members that work very hard taking pics and publishing videos of what they have done for the benefit or all. Many people learn by pics better than words.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, I see problem - someone tried sending a redneck to college.... :rotflmao

You sound like me - overly educated, well paying job and still driving a truck almost older than I am and older than 98% of my peers. ;Sweet

You are 100% right. Oog has a.....wait a second. All 6 of Oogs cars are younger than he is now. But yes, mind is always learning, gears are spinning, basically I was taught to think and want to learn. I make more than double the median income in Southern Illinois but daily a truck fit for the finest redneck king.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
3. Oog asks young man if he wants to learn to fish or eat fish.

D. Young man says he's hungry, and not interested.

I don't like hungry people. I would have said, C-YA!

If you don't like to learn, then you can F the F right off, heh.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't like hungry people. I would have said, C-YA!

If you don't like to learn, then you can F the F right off, heh.

Young man (im 6'4" and he is taller, fatter, and older than me) is in school, from New York, and I did not want any mechanic to take advantage of him. He and I worked out a deal that I ordered parts under my commercial account, he paid for parts and I did it for free. I knocked it out in about an hour and a half on a lazy Saturday

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Young man (im 6'4" and he is taller, fatter, and older than me) is in school, from New York, and I did not want any mechanic to take advantage of him. He and I worked out a deal that I ordered parts under my commercial account, he paid for parts and I did it for free. I knocked it out in about an hour and a half on a lazy Saturday

Aye, so he's younger and older than you, cookoo

Also, maybe you need to work on your deal making skills, lol. He wanted you to do the work to not get taken advantage of, then you give him a discount on parts, and a 100% discount on labor.

And... if you are a good deal maker, not sure I want to even know what was in it for you as apparently it wasn't money, :O

Nice write up BTW. It's tough to remember to take key pictures when doing a project sometimes.

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the other poster is getting at but methinks OOG is good people. We hear about the dog eat dog world and sometimes a big dog comes along and helps his fellow dog. In this case, OOG dog helped out me by posting a play by play on a project coming up, not to mention the blessing he was to the truck owner.

My dad was an independent mechanic and more than once at supper, the conversation was mom interrogating dad about why he had to go and fix so and so's jalopy when they didn't have any money and sometimes, they hadn't even paid the bill from last time. "Because they need a way to get to work" was often the reply.

OOG, you are a credit to mechanics everywhere. Thanks for bringing tears to an old fools eyes. Over a stupid water pump no less.

Happy New Year OOG.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aye, so he's younger and older than you, cookoo

Also, maybe you need to work on your deal making skills, lol. He wanted you to do the work to not get taken advantage of, then you give him a discount on parts, and a 100% discount on labor.

And... if you are a good deal maker, not sure I want to even know what was in it for you as apparently it wasn't money, :O

Nice write up BTW. It's tough to remember to take key pictures when doing a project sometimes.

To me a young man is someone that cant tie his own shoes without mommy's assistance.

I make very good money throughout the week, and if spending an hour and a half
-helping someone
-doing a writeup
-making myself feel better for helping someone
-tipping karmas scales my way
Would have somehow negatively affected me, I wouldn't have done it

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the air hammer to remove the fan clutch. Do you need to hold the pulley to prevent rotation or does the impact alone do the job? Would this be bad for water pump bearings? Thanks for the write up and photos.

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the belt would keep it from spining

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm not sure it hurts a good water pump bearing but it really can't help them. So you remove the fan off a worn out water pump. now you install the fan on a new pump. Still hammering it on.. Well not me. I know what hammering on the wrong bearing race will.. Not can do to the bearing. A roller or tapered roller bearing must be installed by the inner race. Driving it on by the outer race wil kill it no matter who does the work.

oregon-mike

Reaction score
Nobody in my town (Eugene) carries Gates so I ordered it from Rockauto for $32ish.

Don't really want to spend the $130 for the Lisle set of pneumatic fan wrenches for a one time deal so will be McGyvering something that's 1 7/8" and that I can use my air chisel on. Will hit pawn shops tomorrow to try to find a solo wrench. Worst case I can get a set of jumbo open/box wrenches that have the right size for <$40.

Working on the wife's little Cavalier this morning & find out the clutch slave went out in it :mad: Gotta drop the tranny to get to it. Haven't tried that before so am kicking around having a local guy come do it.

If it ain't one thing it's another I suppose.