Only getting 3200 RPM Throttle Cable?

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
On the 1994 in my sig, in 3rd gear all she'll do is 3200 RPM, like it's governed there. Happy as a clam at 3200RPM and 72MPH.

Not getting full WOT? Also seems like I have to give it lots of pedal to really move anyway, more than other vehicles I have. Am I looking down the path of a stretched throttle cable? I know it hasn't been zip tied or anything in the cab, all original looking and unmodified/molested.

(The 1991 F350 I had always seemed peppier and needed less pedal to go than this one too. That cable was all kinds of zip tied in the cab. Just for an apple to apple reference)

Thanks

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's easy to determine, have someone push the peddle to WOT, then see if the IP throttle shaft can move open further. My understanding is that the IP's are governed at 3200 RPM.

Smokininmo

Reaction score
GOOD GOD! I'm Wanting to gear Mine up because I'm running 2400ish at 70 MPH. I feel like I'm torturing it at that speed. What does that do for your fuel economy?

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
There governed to 3200 RPM unless you have a commercial speced pump then its 2800.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Crawl under the dash and take up slack on the cable.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sometimes just bending the cable support on the intake manifold will take the slop out of the cable too. Other times moving the floor carpet under the drivers feet will change the peddle throw too. My throw carpets ride up under the throttle peddle all the time. I'm always pulling it back to get full throttle.

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Also seems like I have to give it lots of pedal to really move anyway, more than other vehicles I have...

I had this same problem, seemed the throttle pedal was more of an on/off switch and always seemed that way since installing the IDIT. After turning the pump up 3.5-4 flats (OK bottoming the screw out) the truck actually drives much nicer. The pedal feels much better and as a side note, it gets better mpg.
Of course add the pryo and bla bla bla about the rest so you don't melt the motor down.

jhenegh

Reaction score
GOOD GOD! I'm Wanting to gear Mine up because I'm running 2400ish at 70 MPH. I feel like I'm torturing it at that speed. What does that do for your fuel economy?

I've still got OD to go! She buries the needle before I hit 3200 RPM in OD;Sweet Thats just my best way to see what the top end is. I'm turning somewhere around 2100 RPM at 70-72MPH on OD.

jhenegh

Reaction score
There governed to 3200 RPM unless you have a commercial speced pump then its 2800.

Funny. Coulda sworn I read on here that the governor was somewhere around 3600-3700. That someone had run up against that for a trip with no adverse effects.

Whatever, I'm fine with 3200, just wanted to make sure she's correct. I'm going to check for slack in my cable, and after this winter (snowplowing $) and hopefully having a better idea on how this truck runs bone stock, planning on some gauges and pump turning and getting my Banks DP installed.

Thanks for the responses!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hope your not spinning it to 3800 no load! YIKES.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technically the spec is 3300. In reality that works out to 3200-3400 RPM. Anything over that is out of whack.