One sweet IDI

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well being here at Purdue university :hail we are of course boiler makers. So we have the "Boilermaker special" pictured here. Today it was idling along on the sidewalk and i noticed it had a distinct noise to it. Sounded exactly like my truck at idle. So i real quick ask if its got an idi? They says "yup its powered by a nonturbo 7.3 idi". It clips right along down the road they said, wouldn't give any major details cause i guess it is club owned so you have to be part of the club to learn what frame it is built on and what transmission it has cookoo, but just thought i would share this with all of you.
You must be registered for see images

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My gf goes there. She just road that last week. SHe didn't tell me that!:backoff

I'm hoping to ride it sometime soon just to get a better look inside the thing:sly. If your ever in the area let me know, never meant a member on here before so it would be cool to meet up sometime.

1994IDI

Reaction score
I'm from southern Indiana, I also had a couple of cousins graduate from Purdue a couple years ago.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
from wiki!!!

The current mascot, Boilermaker Special V, was introduced on September 23, 1993. It is built on a Navistar Low-Profile 4600 chassis and powered by a non-turbocharged V-8 diesel engine. The Navistar chassis was donated by the Navistar International Corporation (formerly International Harvester). The body is primarily constructed of aluminum which was donated by ALCOA, which has an aluminum processing factory in Lafayette, Indiana. The aluminum body was fabricated and installed on the chassis by the Wabash National Corporation, also of Lafayette, Indiana.

The brass bell from Boilermaker Special I and the brass whistle from Boilermaker Special III are installed on the boiler. A five-chime freight train horn from a Norfolk Southern locomotive is installed on the body. The coal tender is large enough to seat up to 14 passengers. The Special is able to "kneel", which allows children and the elderly easier access to the coal tender. Despite the extensive use of aluminum in the body, the Boilermaker Special V weighs 10,800 pounds (4,900 kg).

It is interesting to note the Boilermaker Special V has roots which trace back to the original construction of Boilermaker Specials I and II. In the early 1960s, the Studebaker Corporation, which provided the chassis for Boilermaker Special I, was going out of business. In an effort to raise money and reduce operating costs, Studebaker sold its Loadstar heavy truck line to International Harvester, which provided the chassis for Boilermaker Special II. In 1986, International Harvester Corporation sold its agricultural division to Tenneco and changed its name to Navistar International to concentrate in the manufacture of heavy trucks. Since the Boilermaker Special V has a Navistar chassis, it is linked to the Studebaker Loadstar brand and the International Harvester Corporation which produced Boilermaker Specials I and II.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online