one fuel tank

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im trying to go to one fuel tank of 33 gallons or larger... i want to get rid of the selector switch so that is one less thing on the truck to fail. i was curious if someone could point me in the right direction... whether it be a tank under the bed in place of the spare tire or in the bed... thanks in advance for the help guys

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There is a Bronco tank that fits in the rear tank position but you loose the spare tire cause its so large. Transfer Flow makes a good size rear tank too but they are really expensive. Others will chime in with more info on a 30 plus gallon tank.

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
transfer flow quit making there tank for the slant nose... and the bronco mod looked appealing but curious which tank i would need to make it work

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
transfer flow quit making there tank for the slant nose... and the bronco mod looked appealing but curious which tank i would need to make it work
Actually, as far as I can tell, Transfer Flow doesn't make tanks for ANY '80-'97 Ford anymore...the oldest Ford truck they make tanks for is the '99 SuperDuty. You can still buy an in-bed tank, but no more tanks in the OEM locations. The website says they still make fillnecks for '87+ trucks, but I don't see the fillnecks listed for sale anywhere...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"if" you're lucky enough to find a wrecking yard that processes retired towtrucks, many were fitted with extended cap side tanks. the wheellift assy took over where the rear tank resided. i do have a 45 gal rear tank from transfer flow from a barter deal years ago. only thing that kept me from using the tank is the weight added behind the rear axle. in-bed tanks must be used with caution due to problems with fuel return. noticed the oem tanks are below the fuel injector return lines?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats a great point made about in bed tanks being higher than the oem tanks for the gravity flow back to a tank. I guess enough pressure would be made in the return line to push fuel into the bed mounted tanks.. IDK for sure on that. Just a wag..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bronco tank can work, I did fit mine, however it was NOT installed and nor did I take pics. I'd rather have a 45 gallon aftermarket so I can take some .090 or .120 tubing and say....3" dia and push a tube into and through the tank to make a PTO shaft opening or even a hyd line opening ...but PTO likely for winch!

Just sayin...

Efn bronco tank was too damn rusted out :(

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I did the Bronco tank mod on Darrins truck a couple of years back and it was a tight squeeze but it did fit in there like a glove. Just some modding needed to be done to the sending unit due to the extended depth.

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am not comfortable modding something that important... i would rather just buy a new sending unit that would fiot it... if that exists

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
I found pics of both transfer flow tanks on a 96.. when I get home ill post them. You can read the part numbers