old dods can learn new tricks!

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have had so much rain and snow here in North East Texas that my 750' drive way is a 750' mudding bog. When somebody that doesn't have a truck comes to visit, I have to go out to the road and fairy them in in my truck. Then I have to take them back to their car at the road. The other day I went out to the road and picked up a 67 year old woman that was a friend of my wifes and when it came time to take her back to the road, I put the key in, waited the obligatory wait and finished turning the key only to hear CLICK.

I knew what it was right off, I had degreased the motor the day before, it had to be a batt terminal. I had just done this two months ago but I had washed the motor and just let it air dry. I got my tools out and dis assembled every connection, the PO had built the batt harness with welding cables and HD batt terminals, and I started cleaning until everything was bright and shiny. That when I remembered something I saw an old mechanic do once a long time ago. He had coated the batt post and terminal with a conductive anti-corrosive grease and I still had a bottle from when I ran power to my house site. After about 15 minute digging in the barn I found it. A friend of mine said it best this morning when I took him back out to the road, "Dude this thing turns over like a gasser!" And that is with batt's that are at least 6 years old.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Oh ya good connections make a difference. Thing is you don't realize that they are getting bad until it's about too late because it happens over a period of time and you get used to it cranking a little slower. This is why when I do about every other oil change I check connections.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Thomas and Betts has this stuff called "Kopr-shield" and it is by far the best conductive paste you can use.

It has collodial copper in it, so it "flows" into all the pores and cracks and really makes any connection work good.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/294000/Colorkey_CP8-TB_Copper_Compound_Cable_Dressing

Holy crap! For $40 a can it better come with a mexican that installs it on my cables! lol

....I know, I know......you get what you pay for! I'm slowly catching on!:rolleyes:

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Heck, that's cheap compared to what others charge for it!

I've seen places charging over $100/lb

My Dad has a 1/2lb can that looks to be 20-30 YO. I just borrowed a little in a BB container. I've had that same 1/2 oz for over 10 years.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2....that crap does last forever; on the ranch equipment it gets used once every 6 years when the batteries get changed