Ok, Old School Guys, C6 Torque Converter question,..

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I am going to be replacing the C6 Trans in my 12V Cummins Powered 89 F350, and I need to decide what Torque Converter to go with.

Has anyone had experience with these 2 torque converters?

The First one is the BD Power Torqforce Performance Torque Converter 1983-1989 Ford 6.9L / 7.3L IDI with C6 Transmission

BD Power Ford 6.9L/7.3L C6 Torque Converter 1030220

The Second one is the TCI Maximiaer:

TCI Maximizer High Torque Towing Converters | TCI

Both look like they will act more like a Lock Up TQ and have lower stalls.

Just looking for someone that has had experience on running either of these or any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
C6 2200-2500 13 1.848 Pilot Diameter PDQ-F22
C6 2200-2500 13 1.375 Pilot Diameter PDQ-F56
C6 2700-4000 10 1.375 Pilot Diameter PDQ-C610

Those one's?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
The bds is what I was going to run. Now I'm thinking about the one Towcat posted.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have yet to get down to my shop. I've been installing these convertors on service trucks for the last 10 years without any unit failure. Retail cost is roughly $200. I have one left in stock for my truck.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's the part number.
this one might not have the torrington needle bearings by looking at the part number coding.
As always....TALK TO THE TECH REP THERE.
they build these units to order so there will be a short lag time between ordering and shipping but it's not obnoxious.
BTW......once one of these are purchased and installed, I use another shop to do rebuilds on these torque converters.
if the fins aren't destroyed, they are rebuildable. :D

Attachments

• P1040746.JPG
    P1040746.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 168

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Interesting Calvin, I will give them a call next week.

My question do you feel the difference in the Lock Up and the Low Stall? I know that electronic Lock Ups aren't available on the C6, but how is the does the lock up work on these?

I have been running an low stall diesel Oregon Performance TQ for about 100k miles and it worked fine but never felt that it had anything close to Lock Up. To their credit it was not advertised as that either.

Thanks again for your input!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting Calvin, I will give them a call next week.

My question do you feel the difference in the Lock Up and the Low Stall? I know that electronic Lock Ups aren't available on the C6, but how is the does the lock up work on these?

I have been running an low stall diesel Oregon Performance TQ for about 100k miles and it worked fine but never felt that it had anything close to Lock Up. To their credit it was not advertised as that either.

Thanks again for your input!
darrin-
these "low stall" convertors are exactly what they do. low stall. due to the torque of these motors, you need furnace brazed fins or the fins will "fold over". I haven't looked into doing a lockup convertor on a C6 due to it's simplicity. Can it be done? maybe. I've done many E4DOA low gear conversions, I don't see why you can't do a lockup convertor too.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
C6 doesn't have the capability to run a lock up converter. To do this you need a hydrolic circuit plus a control source to trigger the piston. That part is a solenoid valve.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having done hundreds of C6's. I have studied them in depth and without major rework there is no easy way to make one a lockup. If there was I am sure it would have been done. Mopar did it on the 727 for a few years and I wish ford would have. Although the guys that tried to race the lockup 727 had HP related input shaft breakage.
I can only imagine a diesel would raise hell with it.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I realize that you cant do a Lock Up converter on a C6, however the TCI Maximizer is advertised that it acts more like a Lock Up type, Here is a the desciriptoin:

The TCI fuel-efficient Maximizer Torque Converters are designed to reduce the slippage found in all non lock-up torque converters. This series of torque converters enables transmissions to run cooler and reduces engine RPM at highway speeds. In addition to the resulting fuel mileage increases, the Maximizer Torque Converter also lowers transmission temperature by as much as 20° F. This is an excellent choice for motor homes, tow vehicles and other heavy load applications.

They also have a stall speed of 1600 to 2000 according to their specs.

The BD Torque Converter has the is advertised as with the same type of verbiage:

On the street, you’ll notice that fluid stall or coupling speed is reduced significantly, resulting in more positive engagement in drive, enhanced low-speed drivability and better fuel economy. You’ll appreciate that the TorqForce is designed to handle up to 900 lb.-ft of torque

So essentially that is the as close to "lock Up" that you can get with a C6, That is what I am looking for. My Oregon Performance was advertised as a Low Stall Diesel Converter but said nothing about being a tighter overall converter like these 2 are. I am just sick of accelerating, watching the RPS.s pop up 500, and the truck catching up to that speed, It is just a Soppy Converter. and That is what I want to improve upon when I get this new trans in this winter.

Back to the original question, Has anyone had real world experience with these converters, that advertise as more of a lock up type?

It appears that the PDQ Torque Converters are good quality, and low stall but they dont say anything about better fluid coupling, that is why I asked if they Felt Tighter than stock, or others that have been used. I will call them today and pick their brain.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I did find this post from 2011:

Brianedwardss

http://www.oregonperformancetransmis...ory_Code=C6CON

$115 HD Low stall C6 T/C with the large bearing size. This is probably the one I'm going with in my Crew Cab project. I've owned a C6-equipped truck with a BD Converter for about a week, and it's something fierce to drive! Almost like being in a manual truck. That's the first HD torque converter I've ever owned/driven, and I'm sold for life now. I think I'm going with Oregon Performance Transmission's HD Low Stall unit because as Javier said, I'm not so sure I want to fork out a ton of dough for another BD unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online