Possible torque converter?

Lewnr3

Reaction score
Torque converter?

2002 e350 7.3l stalling when put in drive or reverse. Had to replace my pcm a while back and it started stalling when coming to a stop.

I replaced the PCM, ipr w/pigtail, Icp w/pigtail, and cps. No dice. When I hooked up my BANKS reader to run data acquisition so I could monitor my values it shifted and it worked but I stopped at the end of driveway put it into reverse and it stalled after a few feet of reversing. Idk if the two are correlated but that was the sequence of events. I love this damn vehicle but she has really been acting out recently.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the problem occur with the original PCM or the just the replacement? Or both PCMs?

ColLonewolf

Reaction score
My Excursion did that once. Was a sensor on the top of the transmission. Changed it out and solved the problem.

probear

AKA pooh :)
Reaction score
My 99 F350 had the torque converter go out and it would drive but you could not stop without taking it out of gear. I was fortunate enough to have an external remote filter that caught the debris before it got back into the pan but it was not before the heat exchanger. I ended up getting another torque converter, a new heat exchanger and flushing the lines. Fortunately for me, the transmission was OK. If you do not have an external filter (aftermarket), you will need to drop the pan on the transmission and service the unit. There is no way to effectively clean the heat exchanger. (Note, not sure on an E if the heat exchanger is part of the radiator or separate but if it's part of the radiator, it will probably need to be flushed.
All that said, check the PCM like suggested above and try to rule out what you can prior to R&R the torque converter. I also rerouted the transmission oil to go through the external filter (after market) before the new heat exchanger.