Oil temp gauge

Zbmonster

Reaction score
Where did you guys put ur oil temp sensor I am installing a new gauge and don't want to drill a hole in the oil pan

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I hadn't really heard of anyone running one on a idi. Lol
Interested to see though. I'm thinking just in a oil port anywhere.
On my psd they come in the hpop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I made a fitting and tig welded it into my oil pan when I did my first overhaul. Can't really suggest a better easier place to install one either. What you might do is look at the fitting offered by Frantz Bypass Oil Filters. Look at their web site and find the pan fitting. It screws into the side of the oil pan and has a rubber seal that is supposed to seal with no leaks. Just remember to make sure you install it below the normal oil level in the pan. Best way to know what the inside level is will be take the dip stick out and place it about where it sets when its in the tube but see what the level will look like with it outside the tube. Be VERY CAREFUL around the starter positive lug from the batteries. Thats hot ALL THE TIME. Grounding the skinny piece of dip stick will melt it quickly and you will be saying Bob's your uncle...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard that some people put the sending unit into a plug in the oil gallery. I haven't tried this yet, but this is probably what I'm going to do since, like you, I don't want to put the sender in the oil pan.

If there are any other alternatives or if there's a good reason to not put the sending unit in a gallery plug, I'm all ears! :angel:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to steal thunder here or thread...has anyone heard of installing a heat element in pan to warm oil in colder climates?

I am adding a LOW OIL warning light switch and a bung for temp sensor for guage...just thought be good add a 500 watt or so element to warm oil too since already in there...

just sayin

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A low oil AND a low coolant level alarm would be great for our engines. The best place for a low coolant level sender is the top radiator tank. I had my aluminum Rodney Red radiator made that way with a plug in the top tank. I'm ready but no idea how to make it work. I was also thinking a flashing red light in the temp gauge with an audible alarm is about a good as it gets.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Al, some chevys came with low oil senders.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

This be a FORD Ranger 3.0 L low oil sennder....no chev parts in ky engine thank you very much

You must be registered for see images attach

It sits on top of my engine on the stand...waiting for its new home :)

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, the idea of an oil level warning light was discussed in another thread a couple of years ago...

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?63476-Oil-Level

I looked into the idea of doing something similar, and IIRC the equipment to put a standalone system in was north of $500. It was NOT cheap...to the point where I decided to abandon the idea.

I recall that Daimler-Benz did warning lights for oil level and coolant level...might be worth looking at.

Back to the original question...would a sensor in an oil gallery be a good place to get oil temp from, and if not, is there a viable alternative to the oil sump?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doubt a gallerry woukd give a good reading...pan is best location imho
That's fair, but what if drilling a hole/welding a bung in the oil pan isn't practical i.e. if the engine's in the truck? Would a gallery reading be of any use, or would it be better to not run the gauge at all? Or, are there any other alternatives?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's fair, but what if drilling a hole/welding a bung in the oil pan isn't practical i.e. if the engine's in the truck? Would a gallery reading be of any use, or would it be better to not run the gauge at all? Or, are there any other alternatives?
Drilling and welding with engine in frame is what we did with ours, works fine if you're careful.

Installing a temp sensor in the engine galley is IMHO no different from people putting their trans temp sensors into the pressure testing port. If anything the engine oil gauge done like that may be a bit more accurate as the oil there is always flowing - not sure if the pressure test port on an auto trans is the end of the line and thus slow to react to temperature changes.