oil recommendations please

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me it's cat litter pails.

I've got a bunch of those in the barn. We buy the cheap stuff in the bag, but when my father in law moved he had a hoard of them that followed me home. Great for storing oily parts like power steering pumps.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've got a bunch of those in the barn. We buy the cheap stuff in the bag, but when my father in law moved he had a hoard of them that followed me home. Great for storing oily parts like power steering pumps.
I store a lot of different things in them. Oil, antifreeze, small three wheeler parts, and many other things.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
In December, I was able to buy two 2.5 gallon jugs of that oil for $32 with tax because it was on sale and I had $5 off.

It's still $2 less to buy 2 of them vs a 5 gallon bucket, at least based on the nearby store's price. (Store prices vary wildly).
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/traveller-premium-all-fleet-diesel-engine-oil

$23 for 2.5 gallons ($46 for 5gal) vs $48 for a 5 gallon bucket. I guess if you want the bucket for some reason instead, maybe the $2 more is worth it?
I haven't priced any lately. When I was buying it, the 2 2.5 gal jugs would be $20 more than the 5 gal bucket.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I haven't priced any lately. When I was buying it, the 2 2.5 gal jugs would be $20 more than the 5 gal bucket.

They do sell 2x 2.5gal together and it costs about $13 more than a 5gal bucket, based on "local" prices, but if you go to the single 2.5gal page and buy two it's much cheaper.

It's like they have multiple people doing the pricing who never talk to each other and never compare the prices.

One time, buying a case of 4x 1 gal was much cheaper per gallon than a 5 gallon bucket. I dunno why do special listings like 4x 1gal and 2x 2.5gal, where sometimes they are cheaper and sometimes they are higher.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All this talk about oil has me interested. I’m gonna change my oil today and I think I’ll try out that traveler stuff. I usually get Delo 15-40 but it’s pretty expensive.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you will find it is good oil. I have used traveler oil from tsc and found it was satisfactory. I needed a change and tsc had it on sale for $8 a gallon. During that change interval 90 degree temperatures I towed 10k for 9 hours straight, 500 miles twice. Drove empty 9 hrs straight, 500 miles twice. All this was at 65-70 occasionally 75 mph. At 4000 miles it was ready to change but I’m sure de-lo or rotella would have been also. Mine is a powerstroke so oil shear can be noticeable.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I’m shopping for a new oil distributor at work, and was quoted Rotella 15w40 for $6.99/gal in 55gal drums by a supplier this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Walmart house brand, Super Tec I think it is, 15x40. Buy it in the 2gal jugs, for around $22.
Also buy the Motorcraft FL-1995 filters there also,
for $9.99.

The engine is at 307K and uses a qt every 6 - 700 miles.

I use the empty 2 gal jugs for extra Diesel fuel, and today filled one with gas for my Snow Blower. I have 4 I use for used engine oil which I take to the County Dump recycle container.

Goat

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I haven't tried the Super Tech diesel oil, but I used to use their gas engine oil when it wasn't 70 miles to Wal-Mart. I never had any trouble with it and I would sure give the diesel oil a try if I lived closer to Wal-Mart.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The Super Tech oil is fine. I have run it in my higher oil consumption F250 mixed in with other brands between changes. Not sure if I ever did a 100% fill with it or not.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out Walmart is 6.5 miles down the hill.

All the private oil labels are produced by one of the major oil producers. They may not have the special
additive XT9-07, or XD-HJ21 or what ever the selling point is, but it is good oil. I use to know who bottled it for them.

Any way, it keeps the engine from knocking and squeaking.

Goat

Low1gear

Reaction score
I’m surprised that no one caught this but a 1969 Econoline didn’t come with a diesel nor is there room for one. I’m sure it’s a typo & he meant 89 or so.

CBRF3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m surprised that no one caught this but a 1969 Econoline didn’t come with a diesel nor is there room for one. I’m sure it’s a typo & he meant 89 or so.

with a welder and cutting torch I have learned you can fit anything in anything and on this forum you should already know this man our trucks and such are old and well these engines have a cult following and huge history with most of us on here. So we tend to fabricate almost anything and put these motors in them so your doesn't fit comment is null and void I have seen these motors put in nearly anything you can imagine even in a old chevy chevette and a few fox body mustangs and once seen one in a Mazda Miata granted I don't think it ever was finished but I know it ran and moved under its own power with a 6.9 idi diesel in it the cylinder heads were above the front fenders and again it ran and drove so you need to rethink your wording on this stuff factory is one thing but when you get into a forum / thread like this about a engine so loved and with the cult following it has there are no limits on where our 6.9 / 7.3 idi's can fit if it don't fit make it fit then build around it LOL.

These engines tend to out live the vehicles they come in so they get transplanted into some crazy vehicles and well most of the ones running these motors are old school in thought fabricating to put these engines in are like swapping a old chevrolet 350 into almost anything our motors are mechanical and simple and pack a punch if done correctly when I say punch I refer to raw torgue a old school 350 chevy has very close to our horsepower but our motors have 2x the torgue and power is suppose to be a measurement of torgue and accounts for alot more than just HP the point is raw power is torgue not HP.

HP is ability to accelerate
Torque is ability to do work

if a motor has a ton of HP and low torgue well that motor will essentially run like crap for anything of use point is torgue accompanies HP without torgue HP is useless this was how I was taught.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_(physics)
The output power of a motor is the product of the torque that the motor generates and the angular velocity of its output shaft. The power involved in moving a ground vehicle is the product of the traction force on the wheels and the velocity of the vehicle. In classical mechanics, as quantified from a stationary frame of reference

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque
In physics and mechanics, torque is the rotational equivalent of linear force.[1] It is also referred to as the moment, moment of force, rotational force or turning effect, depending on the field of study. The concept originated with the studies by Archimedes of the usage of levers. Just as a linear force is a push or a pull, a torque can be thought of as a twist to an object around a specific axis. Another definition of torque is the product of the magnitude of the force and the perpendicular distance of the line of action of a force from the axis of rotation.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

HP is a equation of 1 Horsepower = Torque x R.P.M. / 5252

Last edited: