oil recommendations please

Tony Stottler

Reaction score
I got a 69 IDI E350 no turbo I'm about change the oil out of for the first time. Recommendations on type of oil or always specific oil recommendation perhaps? Thanks guys appreciate it.

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i use shell rotella oil and a Ford FL-1995 filter. you will need to buy 3 gallon of oil. the oil can be bought at Napa, auto zone, advanced auto parts, and Tractor supply co. i know you can get the filter at autozone or amazon. you will need a thin band style oil filter wrench. they are the only ones that work well in my opinion.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run whatever 15w-40 is on sale. I usually pick up a 5gal bucket at tractor supply for $45.

I also run the FL1995 filter but I don't know if there are any fitment issues with that on a van. It's a good bit longer than stock but fits the trucks without issue.

Some people have noticed more oil consumption with Rotella, and some of us find it to not make a noticable difference. Just a work of advice if you find it using oil more you could always try another brand. My trucks burn about a quart every 1000-1500 miles no matter what oil I run.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I use shell rotella 15w 40 that I buy from tractor supply in the 2.5 gallon container since they are easier to handle, and for some reason cheaper than the 5 gallon buckets. Every tsc around me, sells the 2.5 gallons for $35, and the 5 gallons for $72, so it isn't worth me messing around with those stupid 5 gallon buckets.
I get my filters from napa.
As a wise man once said "When it comes to IDIs, it isn't the brand of oil that matters, but how often you change it"
FWIW, I change all my oil at 3k miles.

Rock

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to run whatever I could get for cheap but now I have access to Renewable Lubricants Biosynthetic oil and it’s definitely noticeable. If I didn’t get an unreasonable deal on it though I’d be back to whatever tractor supply has again.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
At TSC, you can also get the house brand oil (travelers) in a 5 gallon bucket for right around $50. You can also get a hand pump to go in said bucket.

In December, I was able to buy two 2.5 gallon jugs of that oil for $32 with tax because it was on sale and I had $5 off.

It's still $2 less to buy 2 of them vs a 5 gallon bucket, at least based on the nearby store's price. (Store prices vary wildly).
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/traveller-premium-all-fleet-diesel-engine-oil

$23 for 2.5 gallons ($46 for 5gal) vs $48 for a 5 gallon bucket. I guess if you want the bucket for some reason instead, maybe the $2 more is worth it?

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
It is all making sense now! That is why there is so many old ladies selling beat up 5 gallon buckets for $3 on craigslist:rotflmao

Rock

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron