Oil pressure documentation

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
Mine doesn't work, I'm still trying to wrap my head around installing my mechanical oil pressure gauge
Not to hijack thread, but alot of pple run a t on the stock sending unit at the very back of the block to plumb the mechanical guage as well as not have a dead stock guage. I just ripped my stock sender out and plumbed directly to the original senders location. Wen I installed turbo, had to move it to the sending unit place on the turbo cause the oil feed line takes the place of the old na sending unit.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine runs 15 hot idle and 45 cruising
Cold high idle runs around 60psi

I get slightly higher readings when I run Delo vs Shell

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC Agnem, towcat or typ4 said the stock gauge reads normal at 7psi. I saw that a long time ago so I'm not sure who said it.

Mine runs 10psi at idle hot, 40+ running down the road at any speed and 40psi cold at idle. 212k miles, untouched engine as far as I know.

A guy I know had a 89 that ran 3psi at idle hot for years before he sold it.

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC Agnem, towcat or typ4 said the stock gauge reads normal at 7psi. I saw that a long time ago so I'm not sure who said it.
On most of these rigs the stock gauge is a pressure switch rather than a pressure sensor. Once the switch closes, the stock gauge reads in the middle of the normal range. It's plausible that the
switch closes at 7psi.

I only have one truck with an aftermarket pressure gauge, and that one says 20psi for a warm idle, 40psi cruising down the highway. That's with Rotella T4 oil.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On most of these rigs the stock gauge is a pressure switch rather than a pressure sensor. Once the switch closes, the stock gauge reads in the middle of the normal range. It's plausible that the
switch closes at 7psi.

I only have one truck with an aftermarket pressure gauge, and that one says 20psi for a warm idle, 40psi cruising down the highway. That's with Rotella T4 oil.
The stock gauge in my 87 was an actual gauge. It moved with oil pressure. But since i had no idea what the pressure was I installed an aftermarket gauge.

Mishka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not really difficult. If you have any questions, just ask. This is one of the FEW places that free advice is worth more than the price tag.

So I'm not quite sure the location and really how to go about it in general. I've looked at a lot of posts and watched what I could find on YouTube but can't find a good picture by picture or video on it. Do you know of a good video or picture of the work?

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock oil pressure sender sticks up on a little post tucked in behind everything at the back passenger side of the engine. It's a little can with a wire going to it if you have a pressure switch instead of a sender, a bigger can with a wire going to it if you have a real gauge with a proper sender.

Either way, unscrew that and you can screw in an aftermarket sender, and lead its connection, electrical or mechanical, to the matching aftermarket gauge that came with it. Put in a tee back there, and you can have both senders and both gauges.

Is this what you were looking for?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online