OIL PAN MODIFICATION FOR COLD WEATHER STARTING

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 212 degrees Fahrenheit. If your oil's normal operating temp is below that, the 5w40 will be thinner then a 15w40, and your pressure will be less. How much is anyone's guess. So long as the engine isn't worn out, and regular oci's are followed, you won't have issues with low oil pressure from 5w40, and you'll gain a large amount of cold weather start-ability with it.

Isaac Ristow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with adding a oil heater. I would run a good 5w40 or I know in Canada you guys can get Shell 0w40 diesel oil and I also know Cat makes a 0w40 that's what we run in our cat skid steer year round here in Wisconsin. 0w40 or 15w40 both are 40wt at operating temptiture so I wouldn't be concerned with oil pressure. I run 10w30 diesel oil in my plow truck idi in the winter

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They both have the same hot rating(40), so they should have the same pressure. The 5 will flow much better cold.
Those of you running the 5W-40, do you see any pressure difference running warm from the 15W-40?

I have not noticed any difference, but I have the factory oil pressure gauge, so all I can tell for sure is that the needle stays near the O in nOrmal.

I just changed from 15W-40 dino to 5W-40 Mobil Delvac ESP Synthetic (My VW is picky) and noticed:

1) Easier Turning engine when cold starting
2) The Factory Gauge responds quicker when starting the vehicle and waiting for the oil pressure gauge to read pressure
3) My needle also stay in the O on the nOrmal.
4) I have not seen any leaks or oil usage from switching to synthetic/"thinner" oil except my silly plug, I did not replace the nylon washer. It will have to wait.
5) No oil usage whatsoever. (did not use it with the dino either)
6) There is no crossmember to give me fits, or potential fits and a powerstroke oil filter worked perfectly.

I will say that reading over on Bob Is the Oil Guy, not all 40wts are created equal. I am not an expert. But the Mobil 1 European Formula 0W-40 was fine for my early VW TDI's but not for my now picky one. (Engine Code ALH vs BEW/BHW). They mention it is more of a heavy 30wt oil than a true 40wt.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i will say for true cold weather starting -30*f consistently i would do what was previously suggested
2a battery tender, 100w oil pan heater(just enough to keep it warm and flowing faster, the high wattage ones can get hot enough to burn the oil, but a low wattage is perfect), and factory block heater
a set of battery blankets would also be just dandy.
I would also run 5w-40 syn oil at that temp.

me personally since i only see below -10*f to -30*f temps a few weeks of the year a block heater and 5w40 does me perfect. (soon i will add a battery tender for other reasons, but still.)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online