Oil leak from drain plug

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nothing in the ebay picture. Odd that there is a leak down there. Do you change the gasket every time you change oil.... If not I feel its a safe bet to do this. The gaskets are cheap compared to oil costs. Also how long is the magnet on the drain plug now. You only have about 1/4 inch if that before the magnet hits the oil pump shower head suction piece. When you drain the oil next time please push a screw driver up the drain hole till it hits the suction head.. You will be surprised how close it is. I have had better luck with the soft aluminum gaskets but the plastic ones work well for a few changes. Usually no amount of tightening them up will stop a leak too but it can strip out the threads in the pan too. When the plastic gaskets split they will leak lots.. Only thing to do then is buy a bnew gasket and anew clean oil drain pan. Then drain the oil. Install new gasket. Tighten it up and pour the oil back into the engine..... If its still within the miles usually driven before a change...

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the uhaul ebay site had the correct ones a while back.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have changed my oil for the last 2 years every 5k an put close to 60k on my truck in that time. That many oil changes ago I bought the plastic washer an I use a light rim coat of oil res. rvt on the washer then put the bolt through an then put it on the bottom side of the washer an have never had one leak or problem from doing so. Until last few changes I noticed the heat had starting getting to the piece making it more britel an harder. It cracked a smig on the last tighting so I will be replacing it next time.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my drain plug. I went to Kragen and bought a copper washer to put on it. Leak free so far. After every oil change, I take the copper washer off, heat it up with a torch, and dunk it in cool water. Seems to expand the copper material and it seals the plug so it doesn't leak oil.

MOWOG

Gearhead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a new factory copper washer, but it still leaked a little... the threads seem a little loose to me and I guessing it's been tightened a little too much over the years. I just screw the plug in leaving about an 1/16" gap and fill with RTV, tighten and wipe off the excess. That seems to be working OK so far.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my drain plug. I went to Kragen and bought a copper washer to put on it. Leak free so far. After every oil change, I take the copper washer off, heat it up with a torch, and dunk it in cool water. Seems to expand the copper material and it seals the plug so it doesn't leak oil.

This is called annealing the copper. It softens it because copper will work harden over time. If you use a 12 inch smooth cut file and rub the gasket on that till its cleaned off any impressions it will seal much better. This annealing can be done on the injecter copper washers too but you really need to make sure they are smooth and impression free... Or you will have a compression leak. Then the injecter bores fill up with carbon and your going to have a hell of a time getting the injecters out of the head.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
my truck, and I assume all engines, have a 1/2-20 drain plug. If you strip the threads (usually by tightening too much) you can buy an oversized plug that cuts new threads into the pan.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I never liked the Fumoto. Theres always teh chance of that valve getting snagged by some errant tumbleweeds and oops
I went ahead and put one of those Aeroquip quick drain setups on mine . Granted it certainly is not as fast as a fumoto, there is basically no chance of a failure unless you whomp your oil pan dead on a rock ( even then I've got a feeling teh surrounding pan would fail before the drain would and at that point, it gets down to that pretty much being the least of your worries)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online