Coolant leaking from...somewhere

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, both of those pictures look like oil to me, not coolant. I'm thinking seeping valve cover gaskets. Maybe a poorly sealed valley pan.

Yeah, it definitely looks like oil but I think the coolant is coming out of the same place if that makes sense. When I trace it up from the driveshaft thats the clearest route I can find of any fluid leak.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pressure tested again and it held pressure for 5-10 minutes at 14psi. Started truck and filmed what appears to be coolant bubbling out of the rear of both heads. You can see it in the video below:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Can anyone confirm this is the issue? Also, the gasket on the passenger side looks horrendous.

Any threads with information on people changing head gaskets in the truck?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm this is the issue?
It's hard to tell. I think that it looks like compression in some leaking oil. I may be wrong. Did you ever buy the UV coolant dye/test kit? That would be the best way to tell what this is.

Also, the gasket on the passenger side looks horrendous.
While I couldn't see any bubbles on the passenger's side like on the driver's side, I don't doubt that there is some. I agree that this head gasket looks pretty bad. I think that it should be replaced at this point. I also think that you should just replace both since (I'm assuming) they're both the same age.
Any threads with information on people changing head gaskets in the truck?
There has been several. Maybe not specifically about doing this, but it has been mentioned many times. You will have to leave a head bolt or two as well as a push rod or two in the passenger's side head while you remove and install the head. They will not come out since they hit the HVAC box. The alternative is to remove at least part of the HVAC box in order to get all of the bolts and push rods out. Also, IIRC, the same thing goes for the driver's side with an automatic transmission. At least it goes on the earlier ones that use a shift linkage to the transmission and have the rotating piece on the steering column (I have no idea what it's called, but it has to do with the shifting). You may not have push rod clearance issues, but you do have head bolt clearance issues. You will either need to be pretty strong in the upper body (trunk, arms, and shoulders) or you'll need lifting assistance such as a cherry picker. When I was young and dumb(er) at around 25, I used to use the strong man method. The only way that I could do this was to put a bundle of shop rags on the HVAC box or the brake booster (depending on which side I was working on) so that I could put my head against the rags and I used my head as a three point stance. All of this is why I always recommend pulling the engine out to remove the heads. Not to mention that you have way less of a chance of damaging a head gasket when you are right beside the engine while putting the heads back on. Also, if it's a worst case scenario and the engine needs to be replaced (or a head bolt breaks off) the engine is already out of the truck and you just saved yourself A LOT of extra work and four letter words.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's hard to tell. I think that it looks like compression in some leaking oil. I may be wrong. Did you ever buy the UV coolant dye/test kit? That would be the best way to tell what this is.

I did, and it looks like it lights up a little bit but not definitively. I think it's because in that area it's mixed with too much oil. Under normal circumstances the oil and coolant should not be traveling in the same area unless it's the oil cooler right? Even in this case they obviously should never mix. At this point it seems like everyones traveling together...haha.

Thanks for all of the input. Despite that I think driving it is terrible I'm debating taking it to the mechanic on Tuesday just to confirm whatever issues there are and then I'll probably drive it 2 hrs south to my in-laws ranch where I can use the tractor to pull the engine and have sufficient space to work.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
then I'll probably drive it 2 hrs south to my in-laws ranch where I can use the tractor to pull the engine and have sufficient space to work.
That's probably a good idea. You'll want the space and the powered engine puller.

12pilgrim

Reaction score
I did, and it looks like it lights up a little bit but not definitively. I think it's because in that area it's mixed with too much oil. Under normal circumstances the oil and coolant should not be traveling in the same area unless it's the oil cooler right? Even in this case they obviously should never mix. At this point it seems like everyones traveling together...haha.

Thanks for all of the input. Despite that I think driving it is terrible I'm debating taking it to the mechanic on Tuesday just to confirm whatever issues there are and then I'll probably drive it 2 hrs south to my in-laws ranch where I can use the tractor to pull the engine and have sufficient space to work.
Whatever happened? Did you pull the heads? Were they the issue? I also have small bubbles from the rear passenger head.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's come up several times in the last few weeks on other threads that I guess you missed.
Whatever happened? Did you pull the heads? Were they the issue? I also have small bubbles from the rear passenger head.
So, the thing is this; most of these threads are mystery novels that have the last chapter or 2 torn out. There's no hope of closure, it's best to just start another thread and take it upon yourself to follow through. To modify and quote Princess Laia, " help us @12pilgrim , you're our only hope"

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why I responded with the "haha". I knew you read the WHOLE thing, but now you know what you have to do. YOU have to document YOUR progress so when 13pilgrim shows up he won't be let down! LOL!

WrenchWhore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think sometimes these stories can be anticlimactic. Sometimes what REALLY happens is they sell the truck to some guy for pennies who fixes it for pennies and drives it until FORD happens again. Then the old owner buys something unAmerican and wanders over to another forum with issues...

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think sometimes these stories can be anticlimactic. Sometimes what REALLY happens is they sell the truck to some guy for pennies who fixes it for pennies and drives it until FORD happens again. Then the old owner buys something unAmerican and wanders over to another forum with issues...
It really is a vicious cycle.

RSchanz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... I'm still here ... the truck is still here... and the engine has remained under the hood with the heads on. Quite frankly I'm waiting for the coolant to drip to the ground again or start disappearing rapidly. I just can't justify spending the money to fix it right now and I called around since I don't have the space and it's nearly impossible to find someone to work on these in my area. I know that doesn't really help but to answer your original question it's definitely an issue but the truck still runs and I don't run her hard so its ok I guess

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Keep on truckin' she'll be fine but we'll always be glad to hear from you.......... wasn't it Motel 8?, we'll leave the light on for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online