oil filter bypass

onetonride

onetonride
Reaction score
has anyone done an oil filter bypass system on their trucks? is it worth it? if so did you buy a kit or make your own??? If you made your own how did you do it? thanks;Sweet

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Never done one myself, but did a motor swap on a friend's retired U-Haul truck that had a "bypassed"/relocated oil filter on the stock 7.3 engine. I don't know why, or what the pros and cons of it are, but he had me remove it and install the filter back in the original place.

tknomaj

Reaction score
by pass filter

the idea is that the first filter filters down to about 3 microns then only a small amount of oil goes thru the second filter taking the cleaning of the oil down to 1 micron and this extends the life of the oil keeping it cleaner and usable for longer periods between oil changes most people using them use syn oil but he real advantage is more oil in system it stays cooler and can lubricate better. could be wrong about the microns but more oil is never a bad thing I am going to do one and am thinking of adding another oil cooler with fan and mounting in grill area it is said that a quart of oil is added to system for one foot of cooler line plus what the external cooler would add over kill maybe but dont want to burn engine so i will try.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I have an Amsoil bypass oil kit that I will put on in the near future. Get ahold of RLDSL, he is the man to talk to ;Sweet.

metalworks

Reaction score
I am attempting to install a bypass filter on my 07 Dodge Cummins dually, kinda stuck on the ideal return to the block system. Not much of a fan of the filler cap swivel return or punching a hole in the pan, what I would like to do is attach to an existing fitting on the right hand side of the block, mayby close to the feed line coming off the full flow filter boss.
Any ideas are welcomed.
Thanx

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh this is the IDI forum... We may or may not be able to help you with your C*****s motor. I believe there is a section for D**ge's on here somewhere

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A Frantz bypss filter system is a good way to go. Use one og the 1/8 inch main oil galley ports behind the oil cooler bundle. Run a braided stainless steel line to feed the bypass filter. then run most any line to the block off plate where the mechanical fuel pump used to be. Just drill and tap the plate for the return line fitting. If you have not replaced your mechanical lift pump for an electric pump then this wont work.. Sure an easy supply and return for the bypass.

metalworks

Reaction score
That's what I have, a triple Frantz filter. Just trying to figure out the best way to install it. I was going to feed it from the fitting off the top of the full flow filter housing, I mounted the filter under the passenger front door aganst the frame on the outside side. Was kinda stumped on the return to the block.
I do like the idea of the fuel pump block off.
Thankyou

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not return it to the lemon shaped IP bolt cover? Easy part to remove and drill/tap.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Why not return it to the lemon shaped IP bolt cover? Easy part to remove and drill/tap.

Probably because it's fairly high on the engine and at the very front. I believe he's referring the the IP gear cover. Usually you want a return in the pan or otherwise low so gravity works with you.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, BD, Not sure what the IP bolt cover is. Easy is what I am looking for though

Probably because all these guys are referring to a 6.9 or 7.3 idi, not your cummins engine you are asking about. I saw you posted in the right forum now. Someone will be along there that knows more about cummins than I do and help you out.