Oil dip stick tube???

Twostacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My oil dip stick tube is leaking around the area where it goes into the block, so I pulled it out and notice that the conection between the tube and block is somewhat loose, is there suppose to be an o-ring or sealent in this area???
If an o-ring is to be used does anyone know what size and where I can get one, checked the usual places and came up blank

Thanks
V.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just clean with brakeleen and rtv it. I have tried many orings and none work right.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Just stick it in with rtv, I don't know about the IH dealer, but I bought one from the ford dealer and it was too big around. You have to buy a complete lower gasket kit to get a proper dipstick tube oring.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
dipstick "O" ring

I have one left over from my rebuild you can have, if I can find it. Apparently they are rare as chicken lips. I'm gonna measure it and get a bunch. If you are going to use RTV, make sure to clean the area well and give the silicone time to cure. 24 hours is best, otherwise you have the same problem.

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That happened to me on our clunker. I didn't even know the parts existed. Mine was all mucked up so I had to yank the starter out and clean everything real good, then used that rtv black stuff. I was getting puffing smoke out of there and who knows how much leaking oil. I just let it sit a few days to setup and haven't looked back.

Watch what you are doing, I suppose it could be easy to use too much so that it sets up inside the engine and gets in the way of the dipstick and pushes into the pan.

Twostacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks KnuckleDragger for the offer, I'll give some RTV a try, but if you happen to find it and can post some measurments that would be appreciated

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I have one left over from my rebuild you can have, if I can find it. Apparently they are rare as chicken lips. I'm gonna measure it and get a bunch. If you are going to use RTV, make sure to clean the area well and give the silicone time to cure. 24 hours is best, otherwise you have the same problem.

If you can get a measurement off that ****** that needs to get to the moderators and find it's way to the parts bin as that is one important little critter. if I had half a brain, i would have measured the one in Pontoonrob's kit when we were putting his engine together a few weeks ago, but then again, nobody's ever accused me of having half a brain :rotflmao

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If need be, I have a seal guy who can identify/locate/supply any seal imaginable.

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
dipstick O ring ID!

OK, I not only measured it, I have a part number from Ford.

E5TZ-6B773 A

is the part number for a pack of 4. I was quoted $1.23 for the pack.

I also measured it at .050 thick (cross section), .342 ID, .442 OD. The measurements are approximate, may be off by a few thousandths on the diameters. I could not find any commercial O rings that size, and the cost from Ford is low enough not to care. My local stealership did not have them in stock, but said they weren't obsolete and could be ordered.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for this timely update Mike... When I was working on mine some years back what I found was a flat o-ring. I tried to reuse it with rtv... Broke when it went in.... So I removed it and just did the rtv magic trick... Hasn't leaked in 4 years so I'm saying rtv is the way to go on this. Kinda like the oil pan gaskets.. The factory didn't use one so why buy one made from rubber or cork... Just cause its in the gasket kit doesn't mean you should use one... Rtv works great for a pan gasket too... At least it has for me this past 4 years.....RTV... Where it goes nothing flows....:eek::D

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
OK, I not only measured it, I have a part number from Ford.

E5TZ-6B773 A

is the part number for a pack of 4. I was quoted $1.23 for the pack.

I also measured it at .050 thick (cross section), .342 ID, .442 OD. The measurements are approximate, may be off by a few thousandths on the diameters. I could not find any commercial O rings that size, and the cost from Ford is low enough not to care. My local stealership did not have them in stock, but said they weren't obsolete and could be ordered.

STOP!!!!!!
Do not get them from Ford!
Ford has crossed the oring to something that does not fit! I went to the dealer a couple of years ago and got one and the blamed thing was WAY to big around -cuss The inside diameter is correct but the thickness of the rubber is about three times that of what it should be and it will not go down into the tube. After fighting with the thing for three hours and finally tearing it , I wound up with silicone :backoff The only ones I've seen that are correct are in the complete gasket sets. IH may have them, I don't know.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like RTV works pretty good, but my offer still stands: if somebody gets me info on what they are very certain of is the correct size o-ring, I'll get a suppy of them, maybe even in something fancy like viton which would last forever.

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
Even though I have the early dipstick with no o ring, I'm going to order a pack to see the difference, if it exists. Gonna bring my NOS O ring with me to compare. Will report the results.

When I was looking for commercial O rings, I found that this particular thickness was only used for one or two sizes and neither was nearly big enough for the dipstick tube.