Oil cooler test?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
put it on...hope it don't leak...LOL...I guess there is if you have actual block off plate to test.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
There is an oil cooler tester that can be used to test ones oil cooler rebuilding skills.
There are a couple of us that have said tool. :D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a guy on STD who had fabricated a set of plates with the appropriate fittings to test the oil cooler. It had an air fitting with a regulator on the oil outlet side, with the oil inlet side blocked off and short plastic hoses on both the coolant inlet and outlet. You needed to assemble the oil cooler first, then clamp the ends in place (otherwise, the ends will separate when air's applied) and put the ends of the plastic hoses in cups of water. Then, apply air to the oil side...when I did it, I used the regulator to keep the pressure around 60 to 65 psi (the highest my oil pressure's gotten). If you don't get any air bubbles coming out of the coolant hoses, you're golden ;Sweet

Unfortunately, I don't think the guy who had made the plates made the switch over to OB...or, if he did, he's under a different screen name now. I have a picture of the rig in action here, and if anyone wants to try and recreate it, I traced out both plates and could post the specs...

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats a pretty cool little set up, So whats the odds of screwing these up when rebuilding? I'm only worried about having a water leak into the oil they are a bear to get back together...I used one of my wood working bar clamps to squeeze it back together worked great.

:hail"There is an oil cooler tester that can be used to test ones oil cooler rebuilding skills.
There are a couple of us that have said tool. ":hail

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
The key to not cutting the o rings is to make sure that the headers are free and clear of all debris and burrs. I'll spend more time cleaning the headers that what it takes to drain the fluids, remove and install the oil cooler.
When pressing the bundle together making sure the assembly doesn't get cocked sideways risking chance of cutting an oring.
I've been fortunate enough to get lucky as to not cut an oring yet, but Murphy is a tool and will rear his ugly head someday.