oil cooler replacement.

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so working out minor details for the motor side of my rebuild, and i come to the oil cooler....

Now i re-O-ringed it, wire wheeled the surface rust and reinstalled but....

i was looking around on the internet and found some other universal type oil coolers, nice small ones, easy to mount, and no leaking O rings ever...

i tried searching, but no luck, perhaps my keywords are just bad... but is there a way to bridge the coolant for the oil cooler, and run a remote mounted fin-style oil cooler? I know i normally stick with KISS (keep it simple stupid) but for some reason im really hung up on getting rid of the factory. A link to someone that has done this would be awesome, assuming it is possible. I may have to take mine back off and see if its possible... i just cant remember :(

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You would have to tap the holes and use some high pressure hose and fittings.
Which you would have to do the same for the coolant passages, or plug them.

It's way more work than it's worth.
So yes, KISS!!!!!

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear mount with the filter has a oil pressure regulator built into the head that regulates the oil pressure of the filtered Oil that makes it into the engine's oil galleries. the rest of the cooled but not filtered oil returns to the pan to be pumped back through the cooler again. This High volume system is very effective at cooling the engine's most important moving parts. Removing this system would be very difficult to replicate or remote mount someplace different. This system has been used on a lot of different international engines with very good results. You would need something very impressive to block off the engine mounting locations and function correctly as a regulator, filter and a cooler as well as the original designed unit works.

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, i appreciate it! i dont know why i get stupid bugs up my **** sometimes, but its nice to get them shut down! Especially when it means less work!

Double thanks to racer, i didnt know how they worked, and a little knowledge goes a long way.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Your idea is doable but it will take lots of planning and fab work. Your not at all stupid for asking this question either. In all my 16,000 plus posts I think thats the first post where I actually used the word stupid. Its not a word used around these parts. Nothing like asking a question to find out some answers to it.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to mention that you're dumping a ton of heat there and the oil system flows something like 10 gpm - way more than most of those little cooler can handle. You'd probably have to get some sort of hydraulic oil radiator.

Also using a air to oil unit would require some for of a thermostat otherwise the oil would be too cold 95% of the time.

Plus then you'd have more stuff to break/leak - with the stock system you get cross contamination is it fails, but I've never heard of a catastrophic failure. With an external unit you could have a catastrophic hose failure that would starve the engine of oil.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Not to mention that you're dumping a ton of heat there and the oil system flows something like 10 gpm - way more than most of those little cooler can handle. You'd probably have to get some sort of hydraulic oil radiator.

Also using a air to oil unit would require some for of a thermostat otherwise the oil would be too cold 95% of the time.

Plus then you'd have more stuff to break/leak - with the stock system you get cross contamination is it fails, but I've never heard of a catastrophic failure. With an external unit you could have a catastrophic hose failure that would starve the engine of oil.

I think some member on here had an aftermarket cooler and it blew a hose. Cant remember but I think it ruined his engine.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking into running a air to oil cooler on my rig, but as a supplement to the stock unit, not a replacement.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats partly true about the after market oil cooler. It was a blown hose that got soft. It did ruin the engine. Had the lines been an fittings they probably would be good to go but I'd like to see mine being made or make them myself. As for the volume of oil pumped thru our engines. Its 18.2 gallons per minute at 3000 rpm. We have a high volume at a low pressure system. It carrys away mor dirt and heat this way. 50 lbs pressure is the average we run. Never rely on the dash oil pressure gauge to tell you anything important. All the sender is telling the dash gauge is there is at least 7 lbs of pressure in the system.

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wanted to have it sit against the engine, basically in place of the oil one, but air cooled. I figured it would be easier to change in the event of a failure, as well as not have oil/freeze mixing. but yeah, talked me out of it, besides i just rebuilt the factory one, and the motor had 146k on it, i would bet it wasnt done before... so i doubt ill have a failure... ever :)

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Dunno I think the factory unit does a good job. I have a temp gauge after the cooler and 180 degrees is the hottest Ive ever seen.

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think it was so much of me wanting to improve anything. More like one of those errant thoughts, that shouldnt be put into effect that is (remind to post some pictures up of my 1982 yamaha seca turbo 650 motor on a mid 90s 2x4 timberwolf frame... that was one errant thought that cost me about 3500 bucks total, and has been ridden twice since i built it 3 years ago...) Its nice to have a place to throw these ideas out there, get shut down, learn something, and move on to the next!

Speaking of... i found a 91 ranger excab step side... that would make a mean playtoy with a 514 stroker and some rockwells!

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dunno I think the factory unit does a good job. I have a temp gauge after the cooler and 180 degrees is the hottest Ive ever seen.

Wonder what your pan temps are like? I've got a sensor in the pan and I've seen up to about 240* pulling a long steep grade. Granted that's also with a turbo which I'm sure adds a ton of heat.

I see pan temps typically 10-20* over coolant temp under heavy load - about as you'd expect.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is nothing, nothing, again nothing that compares to liquid to liquid for efficient cooling when sized to sized with air to liquid cooling. The reason a Diesel engine uses a hi volumn and low pressure oil system is to carry away the heat created from compression/combustion. That's why they use the oil squirters to cool the pistons, that oil is very hi temp coming off the pistons and cylinder walls. When you consider it's pumping 10 to 12 GPM thru a cooler, your actually cooling the 12 >< Qts. (engine volumn) 3 times every minute depending on RPM.

Attachments

• 7.3 IDI Oil_system.jpg
    7.3 IDI Oil_system.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online