Oil Cooler O-rings

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm just checking in on this item. As I recall its install ALL the o-rings on the bundle and not the small ones in the headers. I hopr thats what it is. The use of plenty-o-vasoline is the reccommended lube. Thanks guys.... :angel:

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
YUP! all o rings on the bundle ;Sweet

Sum fine emory cloth on the inside of the headers and the bundle necks won't hurt either :D
Personally I perfer using plumbers grease opposed to vaseline........
Be as liberal as you want :D

Big box stores has it.

Back in the 80's, Detroit Diesel issued a TSB directing NOT to use vaseline to lube the liner seal rings on the 53/92/149 series due to the temps crystalizing the vaseline and causing failures. ie: coolant in the oil / out the air box drains and alot of the AB drains were check valved back to the pan :eek:

Now I realise the7.3 oil cooler bundle is not subjected to the extreme cyl temps
found on those engines-- 1k deg+ {this is actual cyl temps--NOT stack temps} but I have allways had success with plumbers grease so ;Sweet

Just my couple pennies.......

Last edited:

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i did mine i replaced all 4 o-rings. i got them at the dealer and used vaseline.

To press the bundle back together i used a hydrualic car lift (with the bundle between the lift and ground and it has worked fine.

matt