oil cooler leaking oil

donald

Reaction score
cleaned off the oil cooler and can see the oil come out from the gasket where the cooler bolts onto the block above the oil filter. Can i remove and rebuild the oil cooler with motor still in truck? Is it better to remove motor?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can pull it while in the truck, but everything is easier with the engine out if you have other work that needs to get done

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seal kits for those on hand.

chicken bones

Docker
Reaction score
i did mine last summer,had to remove bolts from driver side engine mount,jack engine up put 1" wood block between engine mount. this allows clearance to remove and install complete with cooler headers attached.I jacked on the oil pan, used a large block,drilled relief hole for drain plug.A press would be handy for pressing headers back onto new cooler log,I used a jack and my truck.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you haven't changed your seals on that oil-cooler in years, then it might be prudent to rebuild it while you have it off. http://www.nickpisca.com/diesel/engine/6-9-and-7-3-idi-oil-cooler-repair/ Those o-rings can get really old and brittle. I know you IDI truck guys have it tougher than us IDI van guys when it comes to oil-cooler removal (the van oil cooler can come off without hoisting the engine up).

It's a pretty simple job, as shown in my link above. I recently did a video explaining how to reseal that cooler so that you don't pinch the seals. Never force oil cooler headers on because you can easily pinch the o-rings.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Then reinstalling the oil cooler assembly to the block is pretty easy.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's easy to do in truck. Just undo the steering linkage and you can twist and manuever it out.

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i did mine last summer,had to remove bolts from driver side engine mount,jack engine up put 1" wood block between engine mount. this allows clearance to remove and install complete with cooler headers attached.I jacked on the oil pan, used a large block,drilled relief hole for drain plug.A press would be handy for pressing headers back onto new cooler log,I used a jack and my truck.
This is how I got it done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online