Oil Burning...where?

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Oil usage hmmm- leaks-valve guides or seals-rings-bad breather system. These are the main reason to use oil.
Bad valve seals will use oil yes,but in that amount guide would have to be real bad.If they are that bad you are indanger of serious engine damage from a broken valve(as in "my engine dropped a valve") replacing valve seals may help but would serve to mask the problem and still leave bad guidesun noticed to cause a valve to "drop". If you change the seals wiggle the valves by holding the valves by the valve spring retainer goinf from side to side if there is excessive play you definatly need to thing about valve guides,before you have a major problem.
Rings can cause that bad of an oil usage problem. sometimes we over look sludge-if an engine is used for primarrally short trips it can form massive amounts of sludge that can cause rings to stick causing oil usage.Some times an engine will not use much oil then a long trip can help clean sludge and carbon from the rings and oil usage will rise.
Leaks of corse are more odvious,and can be frustrating to fix.
A clogged CDR valve will cause oil usage - an easy fix and good thing to check.
All of the previous posts are correct -I am only trying to shed some more light on the subject from a different veiw point. So look at these areas.
my 2 bits wanted or not. Mr Bill

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
oldmisterbill said:
Oil usage hmmm- leaks-valve guides or seals-rings-bad breather system. These are the main reason to use oil.
Bad valve seals will use oil yes,but in that amount guide would have to be real bad.If they are that bad you are indanger of serious engine damage from a broken valve(as in "my engine dropped a valve") replacing valve seals may help but would serve to mask the problem and still leave bad guidesun noticed to cause a valve to "drop". If you change the seals wiggle the valves by holding the valves by the valve spring retainer goinf from side to side if there is excessive play you definatly need to thing about valve guides,before you have a major problem.
Rings can cause that bad of an oil usage problem. sometimes we over look sludge-if an engine is used for primarrally short trips it can form massive amounts of sludge that can cause rings to stick causing oil usage.Some times an engine will not use much oil then a long trip can help clean sludge and carbon from the rings and oil usage will rise.
Leaks of corse are more odvious,and can be frustrating to fix.
A clogged CDR valve will cause oil usage - an easy fix and good thing to check.
All of the previous posts are correct -I am only trying to shed some more light on the subject from a different veiw point. So look at these areas.
my 2 bits wanted or not. Mr Bill

Good point on the guides, Ill see if I can get a dial guage in there to check the play ( I have the procedure in the factory CD ).
Sludge sticking the rings was my first thought ( always is on old diesels )I tried to run a treatment of auto rx, but the oil burned out so fast, i don't think much stayed in the engine very long :)

Thanks--------Robert

Joe Mc

Reaction score
RLDSL said:
I just ran the compression ( not exactly hot, but mildly warm, it only gets up to about 145 when fully warmed up and that takes a while of driving,

My truck burns less oil on the highway than in the city. I believe that less is burned on the highway because the engine stays at operating tempeture, 145 seems a little cool to me. I don't think that the low temps would account for all the oil you are using, but it might account for some of it.

From your numbers and the theory that an oil leak in the CDR will cause the back two cylinders to run hotter, keep an eye on those head gaskets, they may be starting to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle