Oil Burners turbo kit

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the other big difference there is that '94-97 PSD turbos have a standard T4 mounting flange, whereas the '99+ have some kind of a pipe attachment on the turbo inlet (can't remember if it's V-band or not)
'99 is V-band.
for the unknowing, it's the top circle with "the kidney bean" ports on the inside.

Attachments

• SL372515.JPG
    SL372515.JPG
    288.1 KB · Views: 46

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a bit of digging, and found what is supposedly a HX35 map, a stock one would be OK for a 15 psi setup, but trying to push 20 out of it would have it outside of it's map alltogether. The 60 mm compressor swap from the looks of it will move 69 lb/minute, and 20 psi on a 3750 rpm 6.9 is 68.87, so it should just be able to pull off 20 psi all the way to the fuel cutoff without going outside of it's map.
I'm having a had time finding good hard info on the Holsets though, as Holset doesn't release their turbo maps, and I'm working off of what I'm finding online.
From the looks of the turbo map I found for the stock HX35, the compressor is sized nicely for a paralell twin setup, 20 psi would put it right in it's peak efficiency range.and you would have room to go up from there.
Going back to the old twin turbo thread and looking at my old calcs, the T66 was the compressor I had picked as best for a 20 psi single turbo app, and it actually seems to get thrown around idea wise as an upgrade on the 7.3 PSD pretty often online.

Have to remember, with either a litre, or 1.4 more than a Cummins, we need a whole lot more turbo to make comparable boost levels.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I think I found my next upgrade. First thing first is to get a air temp gauge to see what this turbo does, and compare.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im not a real big fan of water cooled turbos, oil in water is bad and a seal in a turbo can go without notice. In extreme application water cooled is a must but, at that stage you are tearing everything down after a run. I havent seen a street application yet that strained the limits of oil cooling in a turbo, atleast in a proper setup that is.
Well you have a good point...oh wait...the IDI has a water to oil cooler on the side of the block already so I guess we have to contend with that. Now here is an idea....take a nice transmission/oil cooler mount it up real nice though plumb it so that the oil to the turbo passes through it first then on to the turbo. What you think of that?:confused: Then add a remote electric oil pump in conjunction with that, that has a timer on it and you can pre/post lube the turbo say pre for 1 min while cycling the glow plugs, then about 5 - 10 min post shut down to cool the turbo and prevent coking.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody know what type of flange the ATS and Banks non gated turbos had? I really like the idea of there being other non kit options out there for us. I've always thought it might be a fun project for somebody here with the know how and time to design a better turbo kit for the IDIs although there probably is hardly enough money in it to make it worth anyone's time.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think both the 085 and 088 ran the T4 H trim turbos. At least I know my 088 had that before the 60-1 swap.

rwilles

Reaction score
as a side note, the compressor side of the banks turbo will interchange with the compressor of the hx35.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/images/smilies/hail.gif This is great, a merging of what has been done on the Dodge (cough... cough.... Cough... Large hacking noises...) motor and what is potential for the IDI. http://www.oilburners.net/forums/images/smilies/sly.gif Could make a non turbo purchase much more reasonable for up here 3500 feet over the N/A service ceiling.

I already have the factory charger setup. Are there other Garrett and Holeshot charger parts that are interchangeable? Help an old guy with some info: when you say compressor side = cold side?

I've been trying to replace the phantom ATS charger outflow housing upgrade (2 3/8 to 3 inch)for over a year now, can an exhaust side HX35 interchange substitute? I need a new downpipe anyway with the upgrade.....

Don't want to hijack this thread but there is no tech article, this is a new (but related) topic: Whats the best setup you can create with the stock t3/t4 (seen it called Hybrid) housing that came from Ford/ATS, using whatever parts can be obtained through whatever (used/reseller/manufacturer) supplier? I'm rebuilding it all anyway.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
This thread sure does make me want a turbo :D

Do it, you will love it once it is finished....although the installation will make you hate it every step of the way LOL

Just a note guys, the 6.0L turbo with the VGT technology will not work for ours. It uses high oil pressure applied by the computer to actuate the vanes inside the turbo. VGT is hands down a beast for getting instant boost off the line and keeping high boost in the top end. The 6.4L has the same technology in their twin turbo setup.

Now, about the thoughts of the turbos being put out of their efficiency range. The turbo kits are designed to only allow a certain amount of boost, but at the same time the turbos themselves can achieve much greater potential into the 25psi range.

A good example would be Dave Sponaugle's rig on the FTE forums. He has a stock 093 ATS kit and with his engine modifications he utilizes a constant 24-28psi. He had milled pistons and some other goodies as far as I know...although he had issues keeping the valley pan from blowing out :rotflmao

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It makes sense that the plug and play kits were designed to limit boost and that factory turbos would be that way and then some, considering the 6.9 had a hard time keeping a set of head gaskets even with good cooling system maintenance even N/A. What I've heard on here is that the addition of studs or even just adding the final upgraded head gaskets usually reduces or eliminates this problem, but that any boost over 12-13 psi is out of the efficiency range of the turbo itself. Do we know for sure Dave is actually adding anything HP wise beyond 17-18 psi? Is his 093 really stock for sure? I thought there were some minor upgrades available for the 093, then someone else here said that it is still on the map just barely at 20 psi so it's not totally unfathomable. Since we've solved the head gasket problem and a modified DB2 can give us the fuel we need to make more power the next logical step is finding a turbo that can deliver that extra boost without superheating the air. I can't wait to see somebody try this for real. I hate the idea of yanking my turbo and I have no money so...not it...at least not for now...

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Do we know for sure Dave is actually adding anything HP wise beyond 17-18 psi? Is his 093 really stock for sure?

I'm not sure, you probably could ask him though. The writeup he did on his motor didn't include anything turbo wise. As far as gaining any HP beyond 17-18psi, I do not see why it wouldn't :dunno

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From a private conversation with Dave he did remark that his truck sees 20+ psi daily...He's a very cool guy and if you PM him is pretty open about what all he has done. It was his truck that inspired me to purchase my first IDI

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
From a private conversation with Dave he did remark that his truck sees 20+ psi daily...He's a very cool guy and if you PM him is pretty open about what all he has done. It was his truck that inspired me to purchase my first IDI

there is alot that he shares, but there is some stuff he wont, reason being is no one will tell all there secrets to how they build an engine