Oil additive for injector lubrication?

Shamoke

Reaction score
An hours drive south of the infamous Ferguson MO.
I have a local diesel mechanic telling me to only use Motocraft oil in my 2002 E350 with a 7.3 powerstroke because most oils do not lubricate the injectors properly. Motorcraft oil is around $35 a gallon around here and has the Ford oil rating WSS-M2C171-F1. I looked at Rotella and even the walmart oil and they both list the same Ford rating and for much less. So what do you guys use and am I being given incorrect information?

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a local diesel mechanic telling me to only use Motocraft oil in my 2002 E350 with a 7.3 powerstroke because most oils do not lubricate the injectors properly. Motorcraft oil is around $35 a gallon around here and has the Ford oil rating WSS-M2C171-F1. I looked at Rotella and even the walmart oil and they both list the same Ford rating and for much less. So what do you guys use and am I being given incorrect information?

ZERO reason to use any oil additive... most are snake oil anyways.

Given you are in a cold climate, any 5w-40 oil will do. I've run rotella in the past until recently, when mobil1 was actually cheaper than rotella... and both trucks seem to like it.

For those in warmer climates that rarely see temps below freezing, any 15w-40 will also work.

RanniWins

Reaction score
My friend is a professional mechanic with 15 years of experience at the WallWork service center. He also recommended that I just have to use any 5w-40 oil. I heard a few stories about bad oil, but it is like an individual exception.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yup just run an oil that is spec'd correctly for Ford Powerstroke, which isn't difficult to find; and keep it changed within recommended change intervals. I'd actually strongly suggest staying away from adding any oil additive. These things are just too fussy to screw around with potentially a wrong additive.
I do run a bit of fuel additive (not going to get into brands), but that's a totally different ball game then oil additive, in this case

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.