Odd knock that went away

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my truck has had what sounded like a rod knock for the last 2-3weeks and then this whole last week it's gone ***? I'm happy it's not doing it anymore but any suggestions?

occupant

Reaction score
Ate a glow plug tip that a took a while to make its way out??

After reading all the FAQs and whatnot this was going to be my first guess. Let's hope the piston doesn't look like this now:

You must be registered for see images

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I had a sticky injector that knocked so bad I had it towed off the highway. 1 new injector and I was back to making money. It wasn't worth risking an engine to drive any further. The knock was unbelievable. Later an oldtimer showed me how to find a sticky injector knock by feeling the injector line while it was running.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bad injector will give you a pretty obscene knock, I'd try to figure out about what area it was coming from and then maybe crack the injector lines and see if it gets better or not.

One thing you could do right away at no cost would be to pull all of your glow plugs and inspect them.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did hg's less then 2 months ago so my pistons looked good a the time of doing head gaskets

The knock sounded down low I had brand mew motor craft glow plugs put in...
Also a few weeks ago I filled my fuel filter with Trans fluid ran it for a few mins and let it sit over night which that helped a lot but didn't do anything about the knocking

and i was also told before to shut the truck down and coast in gear and see if it still knocked and it did

the funny thing was the knock would intermittent.. and only heard it around 1300-2200 rpms.. im gonna assume it at a glow plug tip.. but i dont know..

Last edited:

countrydog

Reaction score
Make sure you don't have anything contacting the frame or front end. I had an exhuast pipe on an old for that would only touch when you were driving and it sounded exactly like a bottom end knock. It took forever to figure it out...That noise didn't start till we hit a giant culvert playing in the mud and broke the frame behind the double shock tower! LOL