OBS Door Speakers

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Infinity 6030cs will fit a 5" cutout. Look at the specs from Infinity/Harmon. https://www.harmanaudio.com/on/dema...n/default/dw2332a0f7/pdfs/REF6030cs_OM_EN.pdf

It has been a few years but I don't believe I modified the door in any way to fit the woofer.

edit... I believe I did use the provided ring which will space the woofer from the door hole slightly.
I hadn't thought of using spacers to pull them forward to allow the cage to fit through the 5" hole.
Thank you for the reply.
That might allow me to use the ones I just bought as long as the door cards have room for the speakers to be pulled out some. Maybe I can just use some fuel hose on the screws between the speaker frame and the door metal.

Last edited:

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I couldn't make the JBL 6 1/2" work. If I used spacers then they would have bulged out the door cards.
I ended up switching to Kicker 5 1/4" and they fit perfectly. I did drill 4 new holes so the speaker would be centered in the hole. No biggie.
I highly recommend getting the wiring "harness" Metra part # 72-5510. It's just adapters to use the plastic OEM wire connectors. It made it a "plug-n-play" install for my '87. It sure beats soldering.
Crutchfield included them for free with my speaker purchase.
And I would also recommend foam baffles. They separate the speaker's air from the inside of the door cavity as well as acting as a soft gasket between the metal speaker cage and the door metal.

I didn't expect much improvement over the 35 year old paper speakers and cheapo replacement deck that were in it. And it wasn't a huge improvement. You're not going to get bass out of a 5 1/4" or 6 1/2" cone. But these sound pretty tight and are a definite improvement.
A new deck and a subwoofer (+ amp.?) should make it very nice with these 5 1/4" in the doors. But I've got more important things to spend $ on right now. Like $5.20/gal fuel. :-(