OBS Door Speakers

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Trying to get verification of the speaker size of the door speakers in a 92 Regular Cab.

It has been decades since I've had the door panel off of an 80-97 pickup.....

Looking at replacement speakers, and I am seeing listings for 5.25" and 6.5" direct replacement speakers. What size will fit the existing holes....... Don't want to hack the door or panel to fit speakers.

Anyone been in the door lately? Are all IDI era speaker hole size the same?

@laserjock @Dieselcrawler @IDIoit

You 3 are the ones I can think of playing with doors lately.......

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
from my experience they don't make the exact size of the factory speaker.

this is from my 91. the pic isn't great but there about 6 1/4'' OD

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 94 the front door hole is exactly 5" and Infinity 6030's (6.5") are a perfect fit, no wobble as the basket of the speaker is just slightly less than 5". My door skin is still off if you need pics.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine were modified when I got them 7.25 up fronts and 6x9's in the back

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Been a while since I had panels off. But I need to pull a set off so I can get exact measurements of factory speakers if needed

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back speakers? What are these back speakers I here of? I have a reg cab custom, reg cab xlt lariat, and crew cab xlt lariat. I've never had a rear speaker yet.

I must google this. I mean I've added them, but I'm sure I somehow own every model year that didn't come with any in the types and cab styles I have lol..

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back speakers? What are these back speakers I here of? I have a reg cab custom, reg cab xlt lariat, and crew cab xlt lariat. I've never had a rear speaker yet.
What generation? We've had two bullnoses, and neither had rear speaker accomodations. Our '95 regular cab and '95 supercab have 6x8s.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I must google this. I mean I've added them, but I'm sure I somehow own every model year that didn't come with any in the types and cab styles I have lol..

Looks like your trucks are all 8th gens? Maybe rear speakers didn't come until the 9th gen era? I had a '96 XL which had wires run but no speakers in the rear.Just blank holes.Both my two '93 XLT trucks came with rear speakers.Cheap paper things but they where there.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
5.25 and 6.5 both use the same mounting holes. 5.25 will for sure fit. I was able to put 6.5s in my 84 without issue. We did the same to my brothers 96 but had to open the holes a bit. I think the speakers he has just had a larger basket.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had to clearance the hole to fit 6.5's in. So make sure the basket on the back isn't too large. opening up the door hole 1/8" is a pita.

6.25 speakers or ones with a small basket would be great. I used what My brother gave me.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had to clearance the hole to fit 6.5's in. So make sure the basket on the back isn't too large. opening up the door hole 1/8" is a pita.

6.25 speakers or ones with a small basket would be great. I used what My brother gave me.

Could those have been 6-3/4" speakers? It would explain the need to open the hole.

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought some 6 1/2" JBLs. No go.
The Infinitys mentioned above say they have a cutout of 5 3/8". Similar to these JBLs.
The hole in the door metal is 5" and the outside diameter of the stock speakers is 6".
I don't think any 6 1/2" speakers will work?

Now I don't know what to order. 5 1/4" might not cover the hole enough to get screws into metal.

Last edited:

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed some Rockford fosgate 6.5” component speakers in my 92 doors. They have the separate tweeters. I don’t recall doing anything other than adding a screw hole or two, but that was about a year and a half ago.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought some 6 1/2" JBLs. No go.
The Infinitys mentioned above say they have a cutout of 5 3/8". Similar to these JBLs.
The hole in the door metal is 5" and the outside diameter of the stock speakers is 6".
I don't think any 6 1/2" speakers will work?

Now I don't know what to order. 5 1/4" might not cover the hole enough to get screws into metal.

The Infinity 6030cs will fit a 5" cutout. Look at the specs from Infinity/Harmon. https://www.harmanaudio.com/on/dema...n/default/dw2332a0f7/pdfs/REF6030cs_OM_EN.pdf

It has been a few years but I don't believe I modified the door in any way to fit the woofer.

edit... I believe I did use the provided ring which will space the woofer from the door hole slightly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online