o god!!!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I've also seen what happens when you over rev and engine. Mind you it was a 3406B Cat.....but the basic principals are all the same....Those pistons and rotating assy' are NOT light.

International engines have always neeved to be reved up to make decent power....but I think there is a limit to it. lol.

Either way, I think this is a good thing for everyone...lets us know what happens when an engine lets go, and at what RPM.

I hope you have fire insurance on the truck though...if a rod goes through the block and leaks oil on something hot like an exhaust manifold....you're out a truck! While you're at it get idiot insurance too! I have it on my truck1! J/K with that last comment man.

Sounds like you are really interested in turning these things up. Imagine turning it up that high with an Hx 35 turbo....if the top end would hold up lol

mj05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the scattering point? I heard its somewere in the 4000's right?

Hey DYoung, since you're willing to donate your idi to this experiment..... you might as well see how close to 5 grand you can get before you're playin 52 part pick up all over the road! :sly :rotflmao

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Funny thing about the idi valve springs is they are the same spring for both intake and exhaust valve. Maybe someone will "look into" finding a valve specific spring. Or do it the easy way and find another spring but think about the push rods needing to be just a bit tuffer too.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Oh hey sorry i should of mention it was the "other" international engine ;Sweet

that was a result of adding a turbo before* adding stiffer valve springs. I reved the 345 a lil over 4400 and had a nasty tick after that:eek: but ya it was valve float

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
it will be a few days before i drive it again, when i do im going to get my buddy to bring his camera and i will record it and post it up so everyone can watch;Sweet i will probly take it to 3800 in 1st and i dont know 4400 in second i guess

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Funny thing about the idi valve springs is they are the same spring for both intake and exhaust valve. Maybe someone will "look into" finding a valve specific spring. Or do it the easy way and find another spring but think about the push rods needing to be just a bit tuffer too.

well when i changed out my springs in my 345 the intake was the same as the exhaust, and i used BB chevy valve springs and keepers and it was a direct replacement, Id like to see how different a 7.3 is from an IH SV 345 etc is.]

The bottom end of the 7.3/6.9 is not all that far from a big block gasser, just a bit more HD so i think it will handle the RPM (Not sure if the oiling system can handle it though. Might start spinning bearings) so the real problem is valve float, cam profile and fuel delivery. If we founds some gasser springs that could fit, get a cam ground and figured out a pump that could supply the fuel. we would have an screaming 7.3.

also a side note look at the valve cover size difrent between a 7.3 and 304/345/392 there about the same so i wonder how close the springs are.

You must be registered for see images

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all this, and more on the next Unsolved Mysteries :sly:rotflmao

seriously...i think if you are trying to run it at high rpm like a gasser, why not just drive a gasser and have the top end power you're looking for?:dunno

I have a gasser pickup, It's fast and ******* fuel. If it was only capable of 4000 rpm I'd be looking to see what the problem was. I don't see 4200 as anything that extraordinary so I'm trying to learn something new.

If you push the envelope a little then you find the weak links, make them stronger and hopefully end up with a stonger unit in the end. Always cheaper to do your homework and try to learn from other folks mistakes rather then your own. Thanks for the positive input.

Oh hey sorry i should of mention it was the "other" international engine ;Sweet

that was a result of adding a turbo before* adding stiffer valve springs. I reved the 345 a lil over 4400 and had a nasty tick after that:eek: but ya it was valve float

well when i changed out my springs in my 345 the intake was the same as the exhaust, and i used BB chevy valve springs and keepers and it was a direct replacement, Id like to see how different a 7.3 is from an IH SV 345 etc is.]

Wonder how much spring the stock retainers and valves can handle before you find another weak link? Starting to sound like a spring mod would be a worthy and relatively inexpensive improvement. I'm running conical springs on my gasser. Wonder if something like that would have any merit? ;Sweet

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
This website puts a smile on my face and makes me laugh out loud in some hard times. Thanks everyone. After the laugh, I want to go try it out for myself. Gov. springs sound tempting, after my head studs and new gaskets.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
This website puts a smile on my face and makes me laugh out loud in some hard times. Thanks everyone. After the laugh, I want to go try it out for myself. Gov. springs sound tempting, after my head studs and new gaskets.

well take this into account, everytime you pass the factory rev limit you always risk blowing your motor, you have to ask yourself are able to except taking the chance of blowing your motor? I can except it but that doesnt mean everyone can

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
well take this into account, everytime you pass the factory rev limit you always risk blowing your motor, you have to ask yourself are able to except taking the chance of blowing your motor? I can except it but that doesnt mean everyone can

You can only except it because you're ignorant to fully comprehend the consequences. I just hope my wife and kids aren't driving in the other lane when you blow oil on your windshield.

lets all chip in and get Dyoung one of these:
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=41

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
im not ignorant, i might be a little crazy, but not ignorant, and yes i know all the consequences

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
the 345 that was in my woods truck was over reveed constantly, it redlines at 3300RPM i had it singing past 4000 all the time (the vintage thrush mufflers were ********...-Drool ). well one day it started missng, i thought it was a wet dist. i started pushing it to the floor when all of a sudden POP crunch cruch pop....whoops threw a rod through the block! :rotflmao yes IH engines are ment for low rpm...

-Jon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online