o god!!!

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
so i finally broke down and put the "4000" rpm spring in from agnem, well when i got my old one out i thought something was funny cause its a 3800 spring, and my 4000 rpm one was twice the size:dunno hmm anyway i put it in it, i think i adjusted something back wrong cause it idles like 1100 rpm:mad:, but i took off up the road and floard it in first, and i expected it to stop at 4000, but to my suprised it pulled like a ***** ape all the way to 4400 were i shifted it when i found out it wasnt going to stop at 4000:eek: o well its fine with me that its not a 4000 spring cause i like high rpm, but i have to ask did you mean to give that high agnem? and thanks for sending it to me agnem!:D:D:D:D:D

bowedup2003

Reaction score
Boy thanksgiving is providing some darn good reading!

The spring you're talking about is under the top cover of the injector pump where the shutoff solenoid is mounted?

Bowedup

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
i dont understand the point of that? 4000 rpm is so far off the torque curve. Even pulling in on the mountain passes it never rarely sees over 3000 rpm let alone daily driving and there is so little power at 4000 rpm that acceleration is going to be lame

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
oh god :eek: if i was you i would have a buddy follow you just to make sure you dont leave a rod in the middle of the street :D:sly:rotflmao

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dynoung, Do you have a video camera or something to document this?

I will never do this to my engine, but since you are so enthusiastic about this, I am curious how it sounds at that RPM.

Are you planning to keep on doing this? or do you have a limit in mind?

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
well 3300 is stock, but that doesn't mean it can't spin faster. has to do with the load as well (to my understanding).

I still agree with Alex S, you are operating an engine well beyond its range. It shows a clear lack of understanding regarding the basics of engines. Good luck, try not to get any engine parts in your leg.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it reacts like putting a 3200 rpm spring in a VE pump cummins, it isn't just adding more rpm, it's going to make it more responsive at lower rpm and change the fueling curve throughout the rpm range.
My 6.9 with it's locally built pump ran 3800 and pulled hard doing it, It really shone from 2500 on up.

Black dawg

Reaction score
the spring in these controls nothing but max speed. just adjust the hex inside the pump by the governor spring to make your idle lower.

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont understand the point of that? 4000 rpm is so far off the torque curve. Even pulling in on the mountain passes it never rarely sees over 3000 rpm let alone daily driving and there is so little power at 4000 rpm that acceleration is going to be lame

To dyoung14... sounds like you didn't count your turns correctly or got a 5.7 spring.... at least from the other posts I've read on this subject. For you purists out there. I have a 6.2 spring in mine. It will pull to 4200. I don't do it regularly....hardly ever actually. Only a couple of times after I first made the mod to see what it would do. I don't know how it would feel with a load on it. Obviously 4200 is beyond the peak of the torque curve. Where is your peak? That depends alot on what combination your running. Only a dyno will tell you that for sure. These things are known as torque monsters at low RPM's but horsepower is an element to consider at higher RPM's too.You shouldn't compare the mod's effectivness to your stock governor setting either. It doesn't fall flat like your stock governor set ups and then pull ever so slowly to 4200. You have to remember that the stock governor setting is shutting fuel down at 33-3500. Its like hitting a wall. With it at 42 its like moving the wall up a little. Is it safe at 42 with an adult behind the wheel and common sense? I think so. Is there anything to be gained? I'm not sure yet. I think that when I shift I want the RPM's to drop a little below peak then pull over peak again in preparation for the next shift. If peak horsepower was 210 at 3000 stock and our upgrades have moved that to 250HP at say 3500RPM then 4000 doesn't sound that wild anymore. Do I want to pull the grade in third at 4200 and pyro blazin? NO. As with everthingelse Ford and Navistar were overly conservative with our IDI trucks. I think there may be a time when this mod could, in the right hands with the right combination, serve a useful purpose. All that said if you have a loose nut behind the wheel your going to scatter it... NO DOUBT! cookoo

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
ok i been thinkin about it and im going to turn the thing in some more turns and see if my idle goes down and what happens to my max rpm, really come to think of it i would like to keep the way it revs right now, and if my buddy gets the chance one day i will get him to video it, but he works alot so as soon as he gets the chance i will show everyone a video, o and another thing, it not like my stock rev limit of 3300 it seemed to pull to about 2800 then fall on its face and creep up too 3300, now it flys past 4000 and keeps on pulling like a mother!

Black dawg

Reaction score
you should probably look into some valve springs if your set on turning it that hard. stockers are 80 at 1.83 and these valves arent light.

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should probably look into some valve springs if your set on turning it that hard. stockers are 80 at 1.83 and these valves arent light.

Ive wondered about that myself. Ive read that the valves can begin to float at 4200 but I haven't been able to find any documentation to confirm it. I know the clearances are extremely tight so it may not take much to sting a valve.