Noticeable Bluish Smoke syndrome

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck buffing really nice bluish smoke at idle and randomly in a way , smells like it's burning 2 rich, the buff can burn your eyes to be honest if the window down , This syndrome happen at stop light or in the drive way specially when it gets up to normal op temp but non when i am running ,If i stump on it , It picks up & go with nice black buff .

The turbo drain been re routed to Valve cover of the driver side , There is no major sign of oil loss per 5k miles maybe less than 1/2qrt per Oil change , Truck has 139 on the clock . The down pipe does not appear discolored as if it's oil soaked.

At one point i ran road tube under the truck which had it covered with oil mist ,So i put it back to the CDR ...It's almost 6-9 month old CDR ..

Is it Turbo seal

Is it worn out Rings

Is it 2 old

Is it IP outa time

Is it leaky injectors

Is it blow by that is traveling to the CDR and burned inside the intake ...

My CDR collect some oil like a shot worth

IP and injectors all Original

Thanks

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's bluish and not a light white haze?
If it is in fact bluish smoke, then I'd keep an eye on your oil consumption. You stated it isn't using much between oil changes, which is odd if it's blue smoke because that's a telltale sign of burning motor oil.

Kind of sounds like it might be oil getting through the valve guides. Intake valves generally have positive seals, where as the exhaust uses an umbrella "seal", which just deflects excessive oil from running down the valve stem into and through the valve guide. Having the turbo oil drain going into the valve cover will defy the umbrellas oil shedding capabilities due to excessive oil in the valve train, and the oil is running into the side of the valve stems below the umbrellas, rather than the oil only coming through the pushrods and running down the rockers over the tops of the umbrellas. This may be the root cause of your blue smoke. But that's just my guess based from what you have mentioned.

At 139k miles on original injection system, it is past its 100k mile maintenance schedule. It may be fine and take you right to 200k no problem, but 100k is what is recommended because after that is generally when problems may start to arise. If the smoke you are describing is actually a whitish haze, then it may be from a leaky injector nozzle allowing it to constantly fuel the cylinder, causing a whitish haze which is actually unburnt fuel vapors. It will do this on idle and go away on acceleration because at idle RPMs the cylinder pressure/temperature isn't as high so it won't burn all of the fuel.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
If fuel system is old and retarted on timing it will white smoke bad and burn your eyes. Will start and run fine, my truck did it when I first got it back together and I've had tractors do it. Run fine, but nasty fine white smoke at idle.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck start , Run like a clock work from dead cold or extremely hot day weather you drive it 10 mile or 1000 mile . I have done about 10,000 happy miles since i bought it including heavy towing, heavy loads of dirt loaded with Zero issues ..

Bluish smoke is very noticeable at Traffic light , dead stop . Zero present as i am driving.

Almost tempted to droop it at the diesel shop for 2nd set of eyes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online