Not to beat a dead horse..

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Corvair Truck rescue rig

I must have missed the episode they mentioned that in!

Re: flowcooler water pump:

Start at about 1:30...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Looks like they need to replace that plastic impeller with a metal one.

He also mentioned it was a higher RPM issue, I'm hoping the lower RPM range of the IDI makes it a non issue but it's definitely a concern now.

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When pulling our 9000lb trailer up hill with the peddle to the floor I still only reach about 2800-3000 rpm. I don't think a stock 6.9 or 7.3 will do much more even tubo charged. Unless you remove the governor.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I must have missed the episode they mentioned that in!

There is an episode that Rudy is walking through the yard, I think early on in the Morrvair build (it may have even been around the time they were cleaning out the shop to be able to do the build) and he walks by the body from a Corvair "truck" (what ever they were called) and said this was the next build. It was going to be 4x4, and they were going to cut in half down the center (nose to tail) and make it 12 inches wider, and maybe even said something about a boom or something similar..... but it was going to be a special use / special build kind of thing... and that was about all that was said. If you watch when they are out in the yard, sometimes you can get a glimpse of it.

I saw one of the latest episodes today that Lizzy made a comment they now have working A/C in the Morrvair....

(Can you tell I have watched every episode).... I also wonder what happened between Matt and Casey and Randy. Used to you would see Matt and Casey in stuff together, and Randy filming for Matt. Now it's Randy and Casey and you don't see them with Matt at all. Randy even has his own channel now... and he seems to have a Range Rover problem....... LOL

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I put a set of driveworks ball joints in my Excursion. I was doing other work at a buddies shop and found that bad ball joints (I had ordered all the parts for the other work being done).. and the cheapies from Advance was all I could source at the last minute. They did not last to the next oil change (less than 5000 miles). I put XRF's in there now, and they are really nice. This was all part of the major service that I did on the front axle. All comsumeables have been replaced, or are on the shelf to be replaced. I have a set of steering links and a lockout to swap on now.
Does ypur local carquest carry moog mine does and motocraft everything I was wondering if that was a national thing or just my local partshouse

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m honestly not sure. I don’t have any Carquest stores around here… all mine are Advance (which does carry Carquest brand stuff). Most of the time I use AutoZone or NAPA. I think that Advance and Carquest are now the same company.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m honestly not sure. I don’t have any Carquest stores around here… all mine are Advance (which does carry Carquest brand stuff). Most of the time I use AutoZone or NAPA. I think that Advance and Carquest are now the same company.
I know a guy who works at an Advanced. From what he was saying Advanced owns the Carquest brand, but the Carquest stores are all franchises(i.e. locally owned). In fact Advanved recently removed most of the Carquest branded oil and fluids, etc. because the franchisees felt like having them as house brand products was cheapening the brand and making their stores not look good.

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck was her idea. Rockauto is your friend. "Her" truck is so far financially upside down, she can't whine much more. Tonight she decided I need Hagerty insurance on it. $50K full coverage I believe is about $132 a month. $80K would be closer to it and might pay some, some, of the labor invested.
Water pump? Quality can pay off in the middle of the grapevine. That road is a good test of quality.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Capitalism. Lower production cost and quality = higher quarterly profits. (Also lower wages by sending the factories to countries with cheaper labor like China, Mexico, Indonesia, etc) The quarterly profits are all that matters to the corps, not a quality product or customer satisfaction. Especially in aftermarket car parts since often you have only one company actually making the parts, and it gets labeled under many different brands.

Just look at even a name brand like Moog and their "problem solver" line. It used to be the best. It's questionable now, but still probably the best you can get for ball joints and tie rods.

If you have to keep buying the same part every 5 years instead of once every 20 years, it looks better on paper since they sell the part 4 times instead of just once. So it's in their best interest to make the parts awful so you have to keep buying them as a means of keeping their quarterly profits strong.

Cubey,

Don’t make this all about corporate America. Americans have spoken, the majority want it cheap period! That is the bigger issue, we have become a society of we want it cheap and we are ok if it lasts half as long. (Or less!). We rather have 3 new ones than buy one that lasts 3 times as long.

Not all of us feel that way but this thread is to that point most do. I did not see commments like “I would pay double for a quality American or German made water pump.” “I look for made in America”. Or I only buy Motorcraft it lasts, or I want to support Ford who made this awesome truck.

Rather my cheap pump has worked so far. IE - I may of gotten away with buying a cheap pump vs a new Ford factory pump. My wife will complain if I spend good money for the best pump. The cheap ones from here seem to work. No judgement members, to each their own, just making a point.

I look at it like do I want to be stuck on the side of the road or burn up a IDI over heating it to save $50 on a water pump. If a wheel bearing or u-joint wears out your stuck for a hour or a day. Your engine over heats your out of a truck. The cooling system is the most important part of the truck as overheating your engine can ruin it. Yet many search out the cheap and hope for the best.

So corporate America is trying to figure out how to provide what most American consumers want, which is the cheapest goods on the market. Americans are just as or perhaps more culpable than corporate America. Corporate America which also is trying to protect their brand and legally liable if their parts cause issues. So probably has more skin in the game to make a decent part. So we can bag on corporate America and China, but cheap consumers are the bigger problem.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I try to buy made in America as often as I can. I live in a community that witnessed first hand the greed of corporate America/labor unions, the downfall of US manufacturing, and the subsequent offshoring of jobs.

But the only thing worse then not buying American, is overpaying a fortune thinking that you're buying American by going name/brand, and getting a re-boxed piece of crap foreign part. And I've done the latter a lot at the shop, and it sucks big time. I wish there was an easy way to differentiate between what is and isn't made in the USA, but that seems to change frequently, and it's only gotten more frequent with covid and supply change shortages we're now experiencing.

A week ago I called my chevy dealer for an alternator, and they dropped off a Remy unit, marked up another hundred, from a local parts store. I literally saw the parts store's stock change on my computer after I ordered it from the dealer. FWIW Remy is junk in my experience, which is why I passed and went with the acdelco unit, so the phone call back to the chevy parts department was less then friendly. There was an acdelco unit on my desk the next day.

OlKoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife, or truck, wife or truck, id say be a man, or they won't respet you, no matter what they say. If they' arent happy, find out what she really wants, Water pump? Rockauto and pick what brand you want from there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert