NOS sending unit for 80-84 and others? don't know if diesel is same as gas

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gas senders. They won't work as a drop in. However, the boards may........ don't know for sure........ may be transplanted onto a diesel sender if they are the same.

Heath

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What Heath said. According to my '84 shop manual, there were three different sending unit assemblies available. The 6.9l has one with two lines; one for fuel pickup and one for fuel return. The 460 sender also has two lines, and an electric fuel pump integrated into the sending unit. The other gas engines have a single line, as pictured.

I think the boards are the same, so I imagine it would be possible to change the board over, but I've never done it. '80-'86 should be the same, but they changed the resistance readings for later trucks, so this would only work for an '80-'86 truck...

GENIUSLOERTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to one of the guys over on FTE there are something like 71 units still available through Ford. so they are not terribly obsolete yet. I was wondering if there was a difference between diesel and gas. I have a 93 so the sending units are a bit different.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you priced one from Ford yet? They ARE obsolete as far as I am concerned after you find out how much they want for one.