Normal cruising water temp

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a westach water temp guage in the truck and finally got a chance to take it out for a long drive. I have a 212 Deg thermostat from International. The temp read 190 after the truck ran at 700 rpm for 3 or 4 minutes after running down the highway, 60 MPH, at 220 Deg. Are those normal temperatures for the conditions described?

I don't think I have a problem, but I was curious.

akoldnav

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You have the wrong thermostat in it. These motors take ONLY to International or Ford thermostat that is 192 degrees. Others will fit but are the wrong parts. Are you sure of the heat reading on the stat you have in now? Others will chime in with the correct part numbers soon.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The part # for the motorcraft t-stat is rt-1049 or e5tz-8575-c. I got a stat for 180f and all is good.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stat should open at 192*F, 192-212 is consider normal, rolling down the highway with the AC going you can easily hit 215-220 in hot weather, but the test is, does the temp come back down, it should. The fan clutch should engage and bring you right back to 190-200. Additionally, the reason that it is strongly recommeneded to use a Ford or IH thermostat is because some other thermostats have an incorrect opening temp or even worse a bypass. The engine already has a bypass, so you don't need one in the thermostat, having it there can cause the same effect as no thermostat, cool inefficient running and hot spots on the heads. Stant supposedly makes a correct one, but it probably is still good advice to stick with the one from Ford or International.

akoldnav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. The Tstat is an International and I probably was wrong to think it was a 212 deg Tstat. I was concerned because the truck with no load actually cruises at 215 to 220 deg. It comes back to 180 to 190 pretty quick when I idle the truck after cruising.

I have been out of town for a day and a half dipnetting red salmon on the Copper river, so sorry to take so long to get back to you all.

Thanks

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey guys.....keep in mind he's in some pretty chilly climates. So what may be a serious issue down in the lower 48 for the overheat range, will work against him in the dead of winter.