Non turbo to Turbo swap

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that it makes a big difference , but do believe the Turbo G ones have a higher pop off pressure.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

You may very well be right, all I know is the ones that are available now are the same regardless of turbo or not, and used ones are likely too worn to still matter.

I admit I know very little about the original "codes" that were available, so thank you for that information.

Charles Moore

Reaction score
Yes it will. There's zero difference in the injectors, but the injection pump for the turbo models pushes a little bit more fuel. I wouldn't bother with a used turbo pump though, wait until you need a new IP for that.

Look up how to turn up the fuel screw. When you get the turbo installed you may want to turn it up, but that wouldn't help with your MPG at all. It will certainly help pulling a trailer though!

Awesome thanks. That makes it easier. Would turning up the fuel provide more fuel all the time or would that just allow a higher max fuel consumption?

Also would an intercooler help with fuel consumption or is that mostly for increased power?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome thanks. That makes it easier. Would turning up the fuel provide more fuel all the time or would that just allow a higher max fuel consumption?

Also would an intercooler help with fuel consumption or is that mostly for increased power?

1. Turning up the fuel screw I believe just allows for more fuel at the high end of the throttle, I could be wrong, but I believe lower throttle fueling should be unaffected.

2. Intercooler reduces the heat going into the engine. It may help with fuel consumption, I'm not 100% sure but I believe in cooling the mixture it should increase efficiency.

Charles Moore

Reaction score
Right on, thanks for all the input. Going to keep an eye out for a Turbo IDI and see what I can get my hands on.
Doesn't sound like it'll be too much hassle.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not looking for big power at all, primarily I want better MPGs really.

I logged in to chime in that I don't believe turbos provide significant MPG improvement. I'm glad to read that other IDI guys have similar sentiments.

I put on my turbo back in 2014 in the hopes of attaining more power and MPG, but I was saddened to see that the mpg numbers didn't change. The main reason why was once you have the turbo, you can accelerate like a normal 2000's truck. When your truck is NA, you don't bother with WOT because it's going to go up that hill at 45mph no matter if you use half throttle or full throttle. But once you have the turbo on, you give the pedal to the metal. Why put on the turbo if you are going to limp the truck around like it's naturally aspirated?

In theory, you could install a turbo and baby it to get maybe 1 mph better. But that's no possible. Once you get that turbo on that truck, you are going to drive it like the $1000-2500 you invested in it to perform with a turbo.

If you want better and simpler ways to improve MPG, change to LRR tires, install a better TC, swap out your gear axle, install an overdrive, and other ways: https://www.nickpisca.com/diesel/turbo/the-great-big-list-of-eco-mods-for-6-9-and-7-3-idi-vehicles/

Charles Moore

Reaction score
If you want better and simpler ways to improve MPG, change to LRR tires, install a better TC, swap out your gear axle, install an overdrive, and other ways: https://www.nickpisca.com/diesel/turbo/the-great-big-list-of-eco-mods-for-6-9-and-7-3-idi-vehicles/

Yeah, seems like there is all kinds of information out there. The axle was my original plan, but swapping just the gears seems like a pain, and from what I've learned there are a lot of variables to replacing the whole axle. Spring perch spacing, u joint connector, driveshaft vs transmission speed sensor, ABS sensors all need to match from the donor vehicle. Since I have a bus instead of a typical E350 I'm not confident I can find an exact match for my rear axle.

I wouldn't complain about more power with the turbo, so if its a wash on MPG's with a power improvement I wouldn't be too disappointed after adding the turbo.

I'll look into the rest of the mods on that list though!

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
The axle was my original plan, but swapping just the gears seems like a pain, and from what I've learned there are a lot of variables to replacing the whole axle. Spring perch spacing, u joint connector, driveshaft vs transmission speed sensor, ABS sensors all need to match from the donor vehicle. Since I have a bus instead of a typical E350 I'm not confident I can find an exact match for my rear axle.

The SRW bus I had ('97 E350 PSD 4.10) actually used the same diff as the DRW. That's how Ford built the cutaway-chassis.

They are Dana 70 diffs with the same ~50" perch spacing, ~72" wide overall. I have not seen a 92+ without the speed sensor in the pumpkin. The primary variations are the yoke/flange, axle ratio, and disc vs drum brakes.

FWIW...
I owned the van at the same time as a '95 F350 crew 4x4 PSD/5spd. Both had 4.10. With similar payloads, the van struggled whereas the truck was a champ. It really came down to the transmission for me.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The SRW bus I had ('97 E350 PSD 4.10) actually used the same diff as the DRW. That's how Ford built the cutaway-chassis.

They are Dana 70 diffs with the same ~50" perch spacing, ~72" wide overall. I have not seen a 92+ without the speed sensor in the pumpkin. The primary variations are the yoke/flange, axle ratio, and disc vs drum brakes.

FWIW...
I owned the van at the same time as a '95 F350 crew 4x4 PSD/5spd. Both had 4.10. With similar payloads, the van struggled whereas the truck was a champ. It really came down to the transmission for me.

That van had a Dana 70 in it? I'm surprised, I thought they all had the sterling by then.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
That van had a Dana 70 in it? I'm surprised, I thought they all had the sterling by then.

Dana persisted in the E-series. I have a '02ish D70U with discs from an E350. The cutaway/RV chassis may have run Dana's right till the end.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the E-series had a lot of antiquated tech. I remember doing my kingpins, and when I went to pick up the bushings and kingpin kit from NAPA, the guys in line thought I was building some kind of ratrod. They were disappointed when they learned I was fixing the suspension on a 80's ford van.

Joseph Davis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My friend added a turbo to a Ford 1990 F-350 and he has more power on take off but the pedal mash going up hill just seem like the same power band I have at full throttle, in my F-250. I think if I order a turbo kit I would build the engine to match turbo requirements.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My friend added a turbo to a Ford 1990 F-350 and he has more power on take off but the pedal mash going up hill just seem like the same power band I have at full throttle, in my F-250. I think if I order a turbo kit I would build the engine to match turbo requirements.
Then he has other problems going on, cause a healthy turbo'd rig will roast a healthy N/A all day in every way. I've had both in the same pickup.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Turning up the fuel screw I believe just allows for more fuel at the high end of the throttle, I could be wrong, but I believe lower throttle fueling should be unaffected.

2. Intercooler reduces the heat going into the engine. It may help with fuel consumption, I'm not 100% sure but I believe in cooling the mixture it should increase efficiency.
Yes to both! Though again efficient power turns into more "fun" with same MPGs net.

Adjusting the fuel screw will also change your base timing, so be aware that you'll need to time it after maxing fuel.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score

If the EGTs are low, you likely need to burn more fuel to make the turbo work. The downside is that will probably smoke you out the rest of the time.

This touches on the fact the DB2 pumps were never intended for 'road' turbocharged applications, or at least not with variable load and rpm. Its too simple a pump design to cover all the conditions well. This is where the Bosch pumps found on most VW, Mercedes, Cummins, and IH inlines really shine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online