Non turbo to Turbo swap

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This touches on the fact the DB2 pumps were never intended for 'road' turbocharged applications, or at least not with variable load and rpm. Its too simple a pump design to cover all the conditions well. This is where the Bosch pumps found on most VW, Mercedes, Cummins, and IH inlines really shine.

Not sure what you mean by this, the db2s in our idis are specifically built for on road use both in the governor design and advance system which are variable with rpm and load because of the flyweight system, in fact these pumps’ ability to vary timing with load is what made them more fuel efficient for low hp applications compared to most pumps that have set timing. Turbo really doesn’t have anything to do with the pump it’s the hp rating that determines the fueling, if referring to something like an afc housing that limits fuel until boost pressure is referenced, some models of db2s had this installed. Db2831-5090 for example

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by this, the db2s in our idis are specifically built for on road use both in the governor design and advance system which are variable with rpm and load because of the flyweight system, in fact these pumps’ ability to vary timing with load is what made them more fuel efficient for low hp applications compared to most pumps that have set timing.

Turbo really doesn’t have anything to do with the pump it’s the hp rating that determines the fueling, if referring to something like an afc housing that limits fuel until boost pressure is referenced, some models of db2s had this installed. Db2831-5090 for example

Agreed on the first part.

The NA guys aren't starting with an AFC pump. From what I'm reading, it doesn't seem to be progressive/variable. Even if its added, what are the fuelling limitations of the NA pump?

Yes, overall pump fuel rate sets your max hp. However, pushing the turbo optimally and economically - to get there - has everything to do with the pump's fuel rate at a given throttle demand and boost. Basically matching fuel to the compressor map. That's the tuning I'm talking about. I'm not seeing that ability in an AFC that only suppresses base fuel below a setpoint. That sounds like holding in farts, and letting them rip only when you want a crowd (turbine) to run! :fartLOL

I guess I hope the folks going down the IDI turbocharging path have good perspective on what it takes and what they can expect after the time and money is spent. My diesel days started with Chevy and Ford IDI's... and I learned enough about those and other diesels to eventually move on.

Last edited:

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO my suggestion buy a new balancer of rockauto and have it balanced with the rods/rotating assembly then you have a new balancer
That is the one thing I wish I would have done

Sent from my SM-A015V using Tapatalk

Vern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I hope the folks going down the IDI turbocharging path have good perspective on what it takes and what they can expect after the time and money is spent. My diesel days started with Chevy and Ford IDI's... and I learned enough about those and other diesels to eventually move on.

I'm not going after big HP or efficiency gear-up because of return on investment considerations and I do caution people about their enthusiasm in these regards. To each their own..... but expectations, man! Not even going to go after the ATS turbo kit offered to me at a fair price. It's not worth the cost and investment of energy IMO. I will run it as is. I'm o.k. with that.
It's not because of the of the Stanadyne db2 pump's lack of option for charge air (or barometric) referenced fueling alone. But it is a factor.

Had stanadyne been further ahead with mechanical pumps may be it would be different. I understand for so many of us it's what we got and therefore the thing to sink lots into.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I understand for so many of us it's what we got and therefore the thing to sink lots into.
Not for me. I love these engines. I also want to be different from the Cummins/LS swap crowd. True, a LS is a gas engine, but it's kind of the gas version of a Cummins swap.

Vern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love these engines.
I see the comparison, and I like being different, too. I got to drive a cummins gen dodge while doing my engine replacement. I’m just not imagining I’ll achieve with my fuel pincher what that engine can, power-wise. I made do with 59hp in my mini-trucks and accomplished tons

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online